Mama attacked baby now thier hurt

Amaracalle

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2021
We have a broody hen who was on what I’m guessing was dead eggs and she would not get off them. We decided to buy 6 chicks and just switched them out and she excepted the first one, I’m guess since she is black and the baby was black (just like the baby’s from her first time hatching eggs were black) she was fine but the other five where yellow and she immediately started attacking them and she dragged one around the nesting box and pecked another unconscious. Now they are separated the unconscious one is awake and walking fine but not the one that was dragged he moves and fights if I pick him up but doesn’t want to walk. I don’t know if I should leave him be or what to look for in Terms of injury.
if anyone knows what I should look for behavior wise that would let me know he’s badly hurt I would appreciate it.
the mama hen also went back to sitting in her spot and won’t move even tho she has nothing with her I’m afraid she may not leave.

I have raised with my mom loads of chickens by hand but this is our first year letting the hen raise them

We have a broody hen who was on what I’m guessing was dead eggs and she would not get off them. We decided to buy 6 chicks and just switched them out and she excepted the first one, I’m guess since she is black and the baby was black (just like the baby’s from her first time hatching eggs were black) she was fine but the other five where yellow and she immediately started attacking them and she dragged one around the nesting box and pecked another unconscious. Now they are separated the unconscious one is awake and walking fine but not the one that was dragged he moves and fights if I pick him up but doesn’t want to walk. I don’t know if I should leave him be or what to look for in Terms of injury.
if anyone knows what I should look for behavior wise that would let me know he’s badly hurt I would appreciate it.
the mama hen also went back to sitting in her spot and won’t move even tho she has nothing with her I’m afraid she may not leave.

I have raised with my mom loads of chickens by hand but this is our first year letting the hen raise them
A mama hen dose not care what feather color her chicks are!! Also she is a very bad mama!! Take the chick away from her and make a separate brooder!! If I were you i would never let that hen hatch eggs again or even take in baby chicks. Feather color of the chicks do not matter because hens hatch other chickens eggs!!!

Unfortunately, some hens will reject adopted chicks. The chicks from the feed store are two to three days old. And that may be why.
She may be just fine in the future if she hatches her own. I have a hen who is a very good mother but a few years ago when offered outside feed store chicks she pecked them roughly.
The last chicks that she raised were hatched in the incubator. They were placed with her as they hatched along with pieces of the egg shells. She took all six.
I can't say that your hen is a bad hen or a bad mother. She is a hen, not human so we don't know what is going on in her mind.

A mama hen dose not care what feather color her chicks are!! Also she is a very bad mama!! Take the chick away from her and make a separate brooder!! If I were you i would never let that hen hatch eggs again or even take in baby chicks. Feather color of the chicks do not matter because hens hatch other chickens eggs!!!
She’s hatched before and was a great mama which is the only reason we were willing to try and get her to raise these ones that and we didn’t want her to be depressed from us removing eggs she sat on for atleast a month. As for color I only wondered about that becuz the first “test” chick was the same color as all the others we have and she let them under her and was fine it wasn’t until the yellows came out in front of her she flipped. (Although I’m curious now if they can even see color)

the chicks are away from her I removed them immediately and put them back in thier nesting box inside my house they don’t seem to be bully each other but they are now pecking me and it’s really making me sad becuz I’ve always had great relationships with my chickens that starts from them being baby’s and never had them peck me unless I’m handing them food but I’m afraid this has made them not trust me. When I went to put them inside thier box I reached into the bucket they where in and they all started “attacking”/pecking me so that heart breaking

She’s hatched before and was a great mama which is the only reason we were willing to try and get her to raise these ones that and we didn’t want her to be depressed from us removing eggs she sat on for atleast a month. As for color I only wondered about that becuz the first “test” chick was the same color as all the others we have and she let them under her and was fine it wasn’t until the yellows came out in front of her she flipped. (Although I’m curious now if they can even see color)

the chicks are away from her I removed them immediately and put them back in thier nesting box inside my house they don’t seem to be bully each other but they are now pecking me and it’s really making me sad becuz I’ve always had great relationships with my chickens that starts from them being baby’s and never had them peck me unless I’m handing them food but I’m afraid this has made them not trust me. When I went to put them inside thier box I reached into the bucket they where in and they all started “attacking”/pecking me so that heart breaking
Just curious? How did you sneak the chicks? Without mama knowing. Your not supposed to put the chicks in front of her face!! Your supposed to sneak the chicks under her and take the eggs!!

I'm sorry about the chicks. Maybe it is just shock. I'm sure it was traumatic for them and you. Keep working with them and I'll bet they'll grow to trust you.
I hope the injured one is just a little sore and will be better soon.
I do think birds see color. It is true that birds of a feather flock together.

Unfortunately, some hens will reject adopted chicks. The chicks from the feed store are two to three days old. And that may be why.
She may be just fine in the future if she hatches her own. I have a hen who is a very good mother but a few years ago when offered outside feed store chicks she pecked them roughly.
The last chicks that she raised were hatched in the incubator. They were placed with her as they hatched along with pieces of the egg shells. She took all six.
I can't say that your hen is a bad hen or a bad mother. She is a hen, not human so we don't know what is going on in her mind.
Maybe that’s it, we kept the chicks for two day to make sure they were alright (we got them from tractor supply and I have had sick/unhealthy chicks from them before) so the were 4-6 days old and maybe that was to old

:welcome sorry for the problem. Generally hens will foster any chicks placed beneath them at night, but I have had repeat mothers who rejected chicks that were colored differently than their previous broods. Some have strong memories of what is 'acceptable'.

As for color I only wondered about that becuz the first “test” chick was the same color as all the others we have and she let them under her and was fine it wasn’t until the yellows came out in front of her she flipped. (Although I’m curious now if they can even see color)

I think chickens can see color, but sometimes they care and sometimes they don't. It may depend on the circumstances, or on the individual hen.

I once had a hen hatch chicks that were yellow, and I tried to have her adopt some extras that I had hatched in the incubator. She happily accepted all the yellow chicks I added, but refused to take the black one.

I had another hen that was willing to adopt chicks with various stripes and markings, but she refused the solid-colored chicks (yellow, buff, red).

Yet another hen accepted chicks of several colors (including black, buff, and striped), and she apparently didn't care at all.

All of these were first-time mothers.

It might also be different if they hatch under her, because she can hear them peeping before they hatch, so she'll already be familiar with their voices.

Just curious? How did you sneak the chicks? Without mama knowing. Your not supposed to put the chicks in front of her face!! Your supposed to sneak the chicks under her and take the eggs!!
You can put the chicks in front of her face if she's good at taking them in. I had a Cochin take in a few naked necks I forgot I ordered (long story on an old post I made). I gave her one at a time over the course of a day (one every 6 hours or so) and she didn't have any issue with it.

Back
Top Bottom