Mama chicken eating baby that just hatched

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MyFeatheredGirl, Sep 21, 2016.

1. MyFeatheredGirl

MyFeatheredGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    I was out in the barn have been on new babies. I looked in nothing happening, i went about feeding other etc.... my dog started going crazy, I looked in again ( a matter of 10 minutes) she had the legs of a chick hanging out of her mouth, we got it out (it was dead). The others are just starting to hatch, will she kill them all??????????? Help

2. Chickenmanjim7

Chickenmanjim7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2015
    Aberdeen, Washington
    i would definitely keep a close eye on them.

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    It may have died trying to hatch and she ate it. x2 keep a close eye on her.

4. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Agree with Gray Farms. Hope all goes well, and the rest of the chicks are healthy. Be prepared to have to set up a good place for the chicks if she does turn out to be a killer.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Remove the remaining Chicks, eggs as they hatch....Some hens love brooding eggs but have zero clue/instinct to raise chicks and will kill and eat them....
    Bad Hen....Next time might workout?? Then again she may do the same thing??

6. MyFeatheredGirl

MyFeatheredGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    I hear one coming, my eye is on her..... she hurts my babies [​IMG]

7. chickens really

Remove the hatching egg and put it on a heating pad..Set up your brooder and never let her have the chicks...Bad Hen.....

8. chickens really

You can also use your blow dryer to dry your chicks a bit faster so they do not get chilled but make sure you do not burn them...

9. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    I've had eggs hatch early or get stepped on an opened with fully developed or almost fully developed chicks in them. Hens that were great mothers before and after would try to eat them. I don't know how many times it happened without me knowing, but if I see it I take it.

Your hen either killed the chick or it died and she tried to eat it. You should keep a very close eye on her, and see how she does. If you are seeing aggression, remove the chicks. I assume this is her first hatch?

10. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

You already got good suggestions. So just wanted to say... Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Hope the rest of your hatch goes well. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by