Mama chicken just died

Mugento

Chirping
Feb 1, 2022
We just had the saddest morning. Rosie, who was raising a clutch of chicks, was found dead in the pen. I didn't see any sign of injury on her body and, aside from 2 little fluffs of feather, I didn't see any sign of a struggle. She was 6 years old.
Her chicks turned 3 weeks old this week so yesterday we had opened the door to her little broody pen so that she and the chicks could go out and explore the wider pen. The broody pen was inside the big pen so the other chickens were used to seeing the babies and everyone seemed to be getting along fine. My husband heard some squaking a couple of hours ago but nothing out of the ordinary.
I feel terrible thinking that I should have kept them in the little pen longer.
The chicks are back in the little pen but I am not sure what else to do for them. I was thinking of putting a water bottle in their house tonight to help them stay warm. Is there anything else that I can do?

Do you have a brooder plate?
A water bottle probably isn't going to be enough to keep 3 week old chicks warm without their mother. I would also create a huddle box with lots of nice dry bedding in it and a big thick towel over the back and sides and a little down the front to make it cave-like so that they can go in there.
I'm so sorry about Rosie.

Do you have a brooder plate?
A water bottle probably isn't going to be enough to keep 3 week old chicks warm without their mother. I would also create a huddle box with lots of nice dry bedding in it and a big thick towel over the back and sides and a little down the front to make it cave-like so that they can go in there.
I'm so sorry about Rosie.
No, we don't have a broader plate or a lamp or anything. Should I move them up into the house?

What are your outdoor temperatures?
How many chicks are there?

The chicks may be fine just huddling together in a draft-free place at night, or they may need supplemental heat.

They are more likely to need extra heat if your weather is cold, or if there are very few chicks.

Other than warmth, and a safe place to avoid the big chickens, I do not think the chicks will need any special care. They certainly know how to eat and drink by now, so you can just keep providing the food & water the way they are used to having it. (I assume you are already providing protection from weather and predators, so no need to change that.)

Last edited:
Oh n
We just had the saddest morning. Rosie, who was raising a clutch of chicks, was found dead in the pen. I didn't see any sign of injury on her body and, aside from 2 little fluffs of feather, I didn't see any sign of a struggle. She was 6 years old.
Her chicks turned 3 weeks old this week so yesterday we had opened the door to her little broody pen so that she and the chicks could go out and explore the wider pen. The broody pen was inside the big pen so the other chickens were used to seeing the babies and everyone seemed to be getting along fine. My husband heard some squaking a couple of hours ago but nothing out of the ordinary.
I feel terrible thinking that I should have kept them in the little pen longer.
The chicks are back in the little pen but I am not sure what else to do for them. I was thinking of putting a water bottle in their house tonight to help them stay warm. Is there anything else that I can do?
Oh no 😥😥😥 So, so sorry about Rosie. Hugs

The chicks may be fine just huddling together in a draft-free place at night, or they may need supplemental heat.

They are more likely to need extra heat if your weather is cold, or if there are very few chicks.

Other than warmth, and a safe place to avoid the big chickens, I do not think the chicks will need any special care. They certainly know how to eat and drink by now, so you can just keep providing the food & water the way they are used to having it.
There are only 4 hamburg chicks. It gets down to about 12C/54F at night. They have a little house with wood shavings and an attached pen.

There are only 4 hamburg chicks. It gets down to about 12C/54F at night. They have a little house with wood shavings and an attached pen.
I think they would probably be fine with that, but if you want to take them into your house at night they would be fine that way too.

(If you are prone to worrying, you will probably sleep better if they are in your house for the first few nights. The chicks will be stressed without mama no matter what you do right now, but they will adjust within a few days.)

Other than warmth, and a safe place to avoid the big chickens, I do not think the chicks will need any special care. They certainly know how to eat and drink by now, so you can just keep providing the food & water the way they are used to having it. (I assume you are already providing protection from weather and predators, so no need to change that.)

I think they would probably be fine with that, but if you want to take them into your house at night they would be fine that way too.

(If you are prone to worrying, you will probably sleep better if they are in your house for the first few nights. The chicks will be stressed without mama no matter what you do right now, but they will adjust within a few days.)
Thank you. I think that it would make us feel better to be able to keep a close eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom