Mama C's first brood

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Red&Yellow, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    This is the first time for both the hen and us having naturally hatched chicks - and I'm thrilled. I never separated her from the main flock, so she got extra eggs every day that I removed (I marked the incubating ones) She did go into the wrong nest twice - the second time back into her original - and one of those times the eggs were cold. But I stuck them back under, and now look!! Chicks!!! When I do it again, I might separate, but one things for sure - I will not mark the eggs in merely pencil. Two half-incubated eggs slipped into the eggs for eating. Fortunately, I caught one of them before it went over the skillet, and cracked it in the compost. The other, however, got sold to our most faithful costumer. She had good humor about it, thank God.

So Mama C started out with 12 eggs, two lost to humans, one I realized was a duck egg (no drake [​IMG] ) and as I write this, there are 5 chicks and one known pip. Hooray broodies!!!!!!!

P.S. Mama C is a partridge Rock, from Ideal. The papa of the eggs was a GLW/buff Rock, so all of the chicks are certified mutts. I just grabbed eggs from the nest boxes, so the parentage is unknown.

Here she is!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is just so cute to see them come out from under Mama. She's such a good girl.

2. User66184

User66184 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    East Coast, Virgina
    OMGOSH!! So ADORABLE!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

MidnightHorsez

3. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Perfect babies! Congrats! How old is she?

4. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Thank you. She is a year and a half. And because I can't resist, here are more pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The chipmunk could very well actually be her chick.
    [​IMG]

This is so cute - you see their legs under her with their younger sibling (the egg)
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

5. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    AWW! Make this a thread so I can keep up with their lives!! ADORABLE AND HILARIOUS.

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I [​IMG] Partridge Rocks! [​IMG] I have 1 and she is so bueatiful!
    Adorable Chickies! Can you keep us updated? [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  7. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Becky1961

Becky1961 Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    They are sooo sweet!! Makes me want some![​IMG]

9. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    plus she's a rare breeeeeeeeeed! aww she looks just like my hen lily [​IMG]))

10. thechickenguy

thechickenguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    woodsfield ohio 43793
    what do those chicks look like now? any more pics?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by