Mama C's first brood

Red&Yellow

Songster
10 Years
Sep 30, 2009
Frederick County, MD
This is the first time for both the hen and us having naturally hatched chicks - and I'm thrilled. I never separated her from the main flock, so she got extra eggs every day that I removed (I marked the incubating ones) She did go into the wrong nest twice - the second time back into her original - and one of those times the eggs were cold. But I stuck them back under, and now look!! Chicks!!! When I do it again, I might separate, but one things for sure - I will not mark the eggs in merely pencil. Two half-incubated eggs slipped into the eggs for eating. Fortunately, I caught one of them before it went over the skillet, and cracked it in the compost. The other, however, got sold to our most faithful costumer. She had good humor about it, thank God.

So Mama C started out with 12 eggs, two lost to humans, one I realized was a duck egg (no drake
sad.png
) and as I write this, there are 5 chicks and one known pip. Hooray broodies!!!!!!!

P.S. Mama C is a partridge Rock, from Ideal. The papa of the eggs was a GLW/buff Rock, so all of the chicks are certified mutts. I just grabbed eggs from the nest boxes, so the parentage is unknown.

Here she is!!
42183_fishing_spider_and_mama_c_019.jpg

42183_fishing_spider_and_mama_c_007.jpg

42183_fishing_spider_and_mama_c_020.jpg

42183_fishing_spider_and_mama_c_021.jpg

It is just so cute to see them come out from under Mama. She's such a good girl.

Thank you. She is a year and a half. And because I can't resist, here are more pics.
42183_mama_cs_brood_001.jpg

42183_mama_cs_brood_015.jpg

The chipmunk could very well actually be her chick.
42183_mama_cs_brood_038.jpg

This is so cute - you see their legs under her with their younger sibling (the egg)
42183_mama_cs_brood_071.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Back
Top Bottom