Mama got up!!!

weisscrispi7

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 16, 2014
My buff went broody about a month ago. I was surprised when she was up one day during the incubation process to find that there were 12 eggs there. Two days later I saw her out again so I went and checked on her and the eggs to my surprise there were 2 more added to the pile. I k ow she was not stealing them because of the nest box cover I had over her. So I left it as it was and then the next day noticed that there was one of my other hens laying her eggs in there with her. So now I knew why she had so many eggs. My problem is, hatch day was Sunday up until last night. There was one dead baby chick that didn't make it out of the egg and mama got off the eggs and moved her and the babies to another box. I took the rest of the eggs that she was done with candled them and some are very dark inside and others are just in the first week or two of growth. I hope that me putting them in the incubator to finish the process that they make it. If anyone has advice please send it my way. Thank you.

Thank you. I do see 2 of the 10 I have put in the incubator moving around and shaking the egg on the inside. I just turned them tonight before bed so I will check them all the morning for the morning turn. I will definitely keep everyone updated on progress.

I would recommend not turning the eggs that are moving, and I would also recommend not opening your incubator very much, if at all.. you might inadvertently chill the eggs that are ready to hatch and they could die before being hatched.

It definitely makes sense to not turn the moving eggs so thank you for that. How do you recommend turning the other eggs if I may chill the others? I have incubated before but never when they were all on different progress like this. A little nervous about not doing right by the other eggs.

It definitely makes sense to not turn the moving eggs so thank you for that. How do you recommend turning the other eggs if I may chill the others? I have incubated before but never when they were all on different progress like this. A little nervous about not doing right by the other eggs.
If you have a forced-air incubator then you should unplug the incubator before opening it as the fan will pull cold air inside and blow it across the eggs which can chill them.

If you have a forced-air incubator then you should unplug the incubator before opening it as the fan will pull cold air inside and blow it across the eggs which can chill them.

It is a homemade still air incubator. When and if in the past I had to turn eggs the temperature would only drop by 1 or 2 degrees. The humidity is what drops the most in the still air when I pop the lid. So I should be good then if it's still air right? I mean there is no fan pulling air in.

Yes, it should be fine. The only thing that I can think of that would chill eggs in a still-air incubator is if the room is very cold and the lid is off the incubator for an extended period of time.

Makes sense. I will make sure there is no drafts or any cold air coming in. Thank you for all the advice.

Back
Top Bottom