Mama heating pad + coop = good!

mintyradish

In the Brooder
May 6, 2020
Forest Lake, Minnesota
My chicks will be two weeks old tomorrow. I've had them in the coop with a mama heating pad for warmth. We've had cold days and nights here in MN recently, but the chicks are doing great! I haven't raised chicks before, but they seem to be growing and developing really well for chicks that aren't even two weeks old. You can see three of them up have flown up to the bar for the nest boxes which is 16.5" off the bedding:
IMG_20200519_121454.jpg

This little buddy likes to fly up to the windowsill to greet me when she sees me:
IMG_20200518_195527.jpg

(I'll be installing hinged frames with hardware cloth on windows to critter-proof them.)

I just love how they all come running to me when I open the coop door - it's adorable!

I'm getting close to finishing off the coop. Going to build an auto-locking pop door from @aart 's design. I'm also going to use aart's no fill feeder design. I have devised a slick way to be able to top off both food and water that's inside the coop from outside the coop during winter so I don't have to open the door if it's really cold out. It's all coming together nicely and I've been documenting my build, so I'll post all the pics on a coop page when I'm done. Super exciting project, and my whole family is having fun with this!

Back
Top Bottom