Mama Hen and Chicks

Heatherella

Songster
Jun 7, 2020
I have a Mama hen and two babies. They're almost a week old and right now they are in an area separate from the other hens, but still in the coop. I'm not sure what to do as they start getting bigger. They have plenty of room but I would like them to integrate into the flock, and I know they will soon need more room. I've considered opening up the area so Mama can come and go but the chicks would stay. If I do that then other hens would have access to the babies.

Suggestions would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 20210704_195109.jpg
    20210704_195109.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 17
I have a Mama hen and two babies. They're almost a week old and right now they are in an area separate from the other hens, but still in the coop. I'm not sure what to do as they start getting bigger. They have plenty of room but I would like them to integrate into the flock, and I know they will soon need more room. I've considered opening up the area so Mama can come and go but the chicks would stay. If I do that then other hens would have access to the babies.

Suggestions would be appreciated!
Let her and her chicks out now. She will protect the chicks and integrate them into the flock.
Make sure the flock is on chick starter or Flock Raiser so she has appropriate feed to give them. Just put out a container or two of oyster shell for the active layers and they will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom