Mama Hen being bad

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by tim1970, Jun 5, 2008.

1. tim1970

tim1970 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2007
    Well apparently Momma hen was sneaking off behind the woodshed.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What should I do with this one? He was shipped with my Cornish X, but he/she is not really big enough to eat. Do you think it will survive with my egglayers? This was not an "Extra for warmth" either, because I ordered 75 of the Jumbo Cornish X.

Tim

ps: How do you think my Cornish X look? They are 7 weeks old in this picture.

2. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    The red? Looks like a red sexlink, which is a GREAT egg layer. Big brown eggs, almost everyday. Lucky you! Oh, and it's a girl. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Lucky you getting a red sex-link! She'll make a great layer for you and a wonderful addition to your regular flock. [​IMG]

I'm not an expert on cornish crosses, but yours look to be the right size for the age. [​IMG]

4. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Those look just like my 7 week old Cornish X's. Also, McMurray messed up my order as well, similarly. I got a white leghorn (I think) with my Cornish X's, that looked exactly the same as them until it got all of it's feathers and "stopped" growing." At about week 5 I put it in with my layers with no problems.

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    You could add it to your laying flock and I think it would be just fine. You may want it to grow up a little more though, I cannot really tell the size of it very well.

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by