Mama hen failed to adopt chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zomamom, Jul 9, 2016.

1. zomamom

zomamom New Egg

Jun 2, 2016
    Mesa, AZ
    This is a long story, but I am really hoping someone can help me figure out the best course of action.

I have a broody hen that unfortunately only hatched one chick. The chick hatched at day 19 so I waited a while to see if any others would hatch. By the time I figured they were dead and was able to find a place to buy chicks the hatched chick was almost a week old. Last night I placed 5 chicks under her and she seemed to accept them. They were all snuggled under her and she kept them warm until morning. This morning, however, she would peck them and charge at them. I quickly bundled them all up and brought them inside where I have a brooder set up. I am ok raising the chicks in the brooder (we did that last year with this mama), my concern is what to do with the lone chick with the mom. I am concerned that when I try and integrate her with these other five they aren't going to accept her. Or, could I raise these for a couple weeks until they get bigger and then try and integrate them with the mama still with the other? I don't have any experience with this situation and I have tried to search for advice and I haven't had any luck.

Any advice? Thank you in advance.

2. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

A week is not much of a difference. I had to do this with replacement chicks this year. No issues at all.
    Honestly, I'd have all of the chicks in the brooder.

3. zomamom

zomamom New Egg

Jun 2, 2016
    Mesa, AZ
    What will the mama do when I take her baby? They are really attached and when we pick the baby up she freaks out looking for her. Would I immediately integrate her back to the main flock?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by