Mama Hen ignoring chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lindsy, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Lindsy

Lindsy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    Hi
    I have a new mama hen that has hatched 4 chicks a week ago. She is a first time mama...I think she is an astrolop (sp?) chicken. The chicks all hatched in our coop with the other hens (6 hens, 3 teenagers, and one rooster) and she was attentive...at first. Now...she leaves them. Justs walks outside and when they are cheeping, she doesn't come back. I finally let them out of the coop into the run 'cause I felt so bad for them. My concern is that she doesn't seem too worried about them....our other hen was very attentive to her chicks...making sure they were kept warm under her...this hen doesn't seem to do that and I find them huddled in a corner of the coop. Plus I worry about the teenagers being sort of mean...I hate to bring them into the house and away from the mama...but...I am a bit worried. Any suggestions?

Lindsy

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Do you have a hutch or separate little area you can confine her in with her chicks for awhile? One week old is very young to not be warmed up periodically by the mama. They technically need around 85 degrees in a brooder if the mama will leave them all day.

I have had two mamas raise chicks and they never forgot to keep them warm. I would be very concerned and force her to stay with the babies. Do you have a dog crate? If you confine her and the chicks for a day on shavings with food and water maybe she will get back into it.

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Why not get a big box and a heat lamp and raise the chicks yourself if she is not willing to. You need some medicated chick feed and a shallow water dish and some sand. There you go. Throw a few toys in there and forget the mama. Just a simple option for you to try.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    At least she didn't kill them as did mine. She was scratch happy and smashed 3 of my silkies I just hatched I saves one. When I took it from her and she attack me. I left her with one older chick she stole from another hen. She's not a very good mommy so I won't be getting any more.
    Michele

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by