Mama Hen Just Lost Single Chick.... Best Way to Proceed from Here?

Aubjava

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 14, 2012
This morning, our silkie hen lost a single chick that she hatched out on Sunday (it was most likely killed by another silkie in the flock). We are all saddened by this and now know that it is paramount to separate a broody and her clutch from the other hens. We are wondering how to best proceed from this point. The mother has been looking for her baby for the past couple of hours and seems distraught... should we buy a chick or two from the feed store to give her? We are worried that if we don't, she may go broody again quickly, and are not sure she could survive another three weeks sitting on eggs (she is a VERY determined broody). She got so sickly hatching this last chick and is just now starting to recover...

Is it common for a hen to go broody again quickly if she loses her babies? If so, what do you guys think about giving her a couple of chicks?

Thanks for welcoming me! We did end up getting some chicks for our silkie last Saturday night- well, actually let me retract that statement: We got her some EE eggs that had just started pipping. We found an ad on craigslist for some EE chicks that were hatching that very night and contacted the seller. He suggested we bring our hen to his house and introduce her to the eggs there to make sure she would accept them. We took her in the dog kennel that she had made a nest in for her other chick (we are all still sad about the loss) and gave her three pipped eggs, which she rolled underneath her right away. The chicks were peeping inside the eggs a little, and she kind of cocked her head to listen to them as we set each egg next to her. By the next day, all three eggs had hatched.

Giving our silkie the chicks was a good solution for her; she definitely calmed down and now has plenty of time to recuperate from being broody. She has also been a wonderful mother thus far.

Thanks for welcoming me! We did end up getting some chicks for our silkie last Saturday night- well, actually let me retract that statement: We got her some EE eggs that had just started pipping. We found an ad on craigslist for some EE chicks that were hatching that very night and contacted the seller. He suggested we bring our hen to his house and introduce her to the eggs there to make sure she would accept them. We took her in the dog kennel that she had made a nest in for her other chick (we are all still sad about the loss) and gave her three pipped eggs, which she rolled underneath her right away. The chicks were peeping inside the eggs a little, and she kind of cocked her head to listen to them as we set each egg next to her. By the next day, all three eggs had hatched.

Giving our silkie the chicks was a good solution for her; she definitely calmed down and now has plenty of time to recuperate from being broody. She has also been a wonderful mother thus far.

This is what I love about chicken people.
jumpy.gif
Going out of your way so a sad mama could raise "her" babies. She sounds adorable.

We just had this happen a few hours ago! Heartbreaking :(. I am not sure i will be able to find her some eggs to hatch out, or a new baby. Will she be ok? I feel so awful for her....she is just sitting on the coop floor with her face to the wall. She is s Silkie also....and by far our favorite hen. Should I leave her alone? Hold her and sing to her? HELP!

Oh also...the chick that died was 9 days old...she still has two eggs under her. Should I take them? She has been sitting for on one for 25 days and the other for 28 days. If so...how do I do this? Should I put her outside with some scratch to distract her and then take them? She has been broody so long! I want to fatten her up again!

Back
Top Bottom