1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mama hen pecking at 1 of her babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by girls and guineas, Dec 29, 2012.

1. girls and guineas

girls and guineas Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    northern GA
    My silkie hen hatched out 7 eggs!!! She pecks at 1 little chick! It is darker colored than the rest--that's the only thing I can figure out!! Is this common--that mama will peck 1 baby??? I feel so bad for it--it wants her mama to keep her warm and love her, but mama is just mean to her!!! I swatted the mama's beak with my hand when she did this, but she still wants to peck it?? I have 2 little chicks separated now, under a light, and they are doing well! But that's not what I had planned!!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Sometimes hens peck the chicks and on rare occasions they'll kill a chick too. If she is really mean to it and doesn't want it you should raise it yourself with a buddy I think.

3. girls and guineas

Nov 30, 2011
    northern GA
    Thank you for responding! That's what I started doing!!

4. LeJeune1

LeJeune1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Allen Parish, LA
    Could be that chick is a different color than the others. But could be the chick is sick or weaker than the others too. Do keep us posted.

5. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Hope everything turns out good! Poor baby!

6. girls and guineas

Nov 30, 2011
    northern GA
    The 2 little chicks are doing well, in another container. I put another little one with the pecked one, so they would have a buddy! I have a light on them for heat. Their wing feathers and tail feathers are coming in. They are almost a wk old!!! I put them in with their siblings for a few min. today--with Mama out! At first they stayed in 2 groups, but it went okay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by