Mama hen pecking at her chicks and ready to move on

valsey

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
I think I may have waited too long to start introducing mama and her three chicks to the flock. They are almost 9 weeks old and are separated (but in view of) the rest of the flock. Today I put in a small run for them to start getting used to it outdoors (I free range) and mom was thrilled. I thought she would be out there showing them bugs and grass but instead she's pecking at the chicks a bit as if she's annoyed by them. So they have decided they don't want to be with her out there and are staying inside, and she could care less.

Today mama laid an egg. Have I waited too long? I thought she would show them the ropes and protect them when I let them all out with the flock, but now I have serious doubts. What should I do? Are they going to have to fend for themselves at this point?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

you may have ....I am not an expert and can only relate my own experiences....if momma is done with them they can be brooded in the main coop or where the flock can see them and interact with them for a week or two youll find integration far smooother....since they are 9weeks if you can get them into the main flcok at night you may find they are accepted other than pecking order issues relatively quickly.....

Quote:
Does it sound like mama is done with them? I've only had one other baby chick and that mom seemed to be a better (longer term) mother. She was killed but the baby did pretty well at that point - he was already somewhat integrated. Somewhat.

What signs do you look for that says she's done with them. Is laying an egg a good indication?

Thanks!

If she is laying, she is done. Nine weeks is longer than usual for my hens.
Mine average about six weeks. I had one stop at just under four weeks this summer.

Back
Top Bottom