1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mama hen pecking babies to keep them under her HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by skillswife, Feb 22, 2012.

1. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    I put 2 babies in with a hen who had been sitting on wooden eggs for nearly 2 weeks, last night. Everything seemed well, she seemed thrilled with the babies. This morning I went to refill the food and water and held the chicks to take pics. I put them back, the hen was eating and when the babies ran into the food dish she pecked them hard, and seemed to try and get them back under her. I covered the crate over and everyone seems find now but I am worried. Is this behavior normal? The chicks are just a day old. Should I remove them? I would really rather have a hen raise the babies but if this is something that will harm the chicks I will take them away.

2. skillswife

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    I checked in on them, they are under her and she seems fine. Will a hen keep them from food/water? Maybe she just doesn't think they need to be out and about yet.

3. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    If they are only a day old then they don't need food yet. I wouldn't worry yet.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Normal behavior. Let her do what she does best and you'll be surprised at how healthy and well fed your chicks will be when it's all said and done. [​IMG]

5. skillswife

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Ok thanks! I am trying to give her us much quiet and privacy with the babies as I can so hopefully that helps. She just seemed to peck really hard, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by