Mama Hen picking on one of her babies.

Featherland

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
Missouri
I have a hen that hatched 5 eggs. I hatched 9 in the incubator at the same time. They are 1 week old now. I added 5 of the chicks from the incubator to the hen when they were 3 days old and took 2 from her I wanted to observe. At 5 days old I put all of them with her. She was always accepting when I gave her babies. Everyday I handled all the babies and she tolerated me. Yesterday I let them into the pen for a while and I noticed her picking on 1 chick. Ten of the chicks are a buff/red color and 4 are black with various shades. The one she picks on is almost all black. At the end of the week these chicks are going to their new home except for the 3 I am keeping. The problem is I wanted to keep the black one for sure and am still undecided on the other 2. This little black chick is afraid of the mama now and I was planning on keeping them together. Is there anything I can do?

lol.png
I was wondering if she was one! No, but there are 3 other chicks that are dark colored also and she doesn't pick on them. I did remove that one and a couple others to keep it company but I would like to find a way to keep them together. It's funny, one of the other dark colored one is a runt but she accepts that one.

My hens always pick out a chick or 2 to pick on! It can be vicious! One time I put the poor victim in with another hen & her babies. I don't know what she saw in the chick to make her do that. She just didn't want it in with her & the others!

Back
Top Bottom