1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Mama hen rejects chick, we put in bator-what next?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by messianicmom, Jan 15, 2011.

1. messianicmom

messianicmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    Our Buff hen has been strongly broody since late Dec. She hatched her first egg last Sunday-a Buff. Today, another egg hatched and it's of another hen-a Buff (roo) and BArred(hen) mix. She seemed to have rejected it by heavily pecking at it's face and not even atttempting to cover it with her body and the temps. are in the 20's here. She just let it lie there.
    So, being it was so cold, we brought it in to the incubator that's already incubating other eggs. It's tweeking loudly and moving around.

I know hens can act strangely, but why do think she acted that way?

Is there any way to reintroduce the chick to her soon or should we just take over from here for 8 weeks and then intro. into the rest of the flock and not worry about her?

If we take care of it, we'll have to set up a brooder for it, I know. But our preference is that it be raised by a hen.

Any suggestions? This is our first time for this. Her chick she hatched first is doing fine.

Thanks, Rachel

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I'm not sure you can put the baby back with the hen-I've never had that happen before so I don't know if she just rejected it because something was wrong with it or what exactly she was thinking.
    Poor baby. I think I'd set up a brooder for it to be on the safe side.
    Maybe someone else that has had this happen can help you more.
    Good luck.

3. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    You can try putting it under her while she is sleeping, but you'd have to watch carefully when she wakes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by