Mama Hen VS Mama Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hotmama79, Sep 26, 2011.

1. hotmama79

hotmama79 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    I have 6 precious perfect chicks. I was there when they hatched (incubator) and now they are about 1.5 months old. They are just big ol babies and very lovable with my little girls. Recently I acquired a Mama Banny with 5 chicks of her own. She has made it quite clear to my babies (chicks and kids) that they are to stay clear (esp food and water). I completly understand her protective nature. But I want to be able to handle her chicks so they will be friendly. I dont really want to seperate them or get rid of mama. Is there anyone who can offer suggestions maybe how this mama hen can win over that mama hen? [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hmm, maybe you could herd them all into some type of enclosure, so they can't run away and you can entice mama with some special treats and handle a few of those babies. I think some hens are super protective though, so be ready just in case she goes "all ninja" on you! [​IMG]

If mama isn't real tame, then she might give you a hard time......But yummy treats can definitely help!

3. sjmarshall87

sjmarshall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Carthage
    [​IMG]
    Quote:try hand feeding her maybe?? picking her up on a regular basis.. If you can get her used to you maybe she will not be so protective of her chicks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by