Mama Hens chicks got murdered! Substitute babies?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Patsy2757, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Patsy2757

Patsy2757 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2012
    Kansas
    I have 2 broody hens. One is a large Barred Rock, she was sitting on 8 eggs. 2 hatched fine, then I found 1 wet and dead in the nest, another dead on the coop floor, she then abadoned the other eggs and moved her 2 chicks in a corner. Found 1 or those 2 dead this morning. Moved the Mama and her 1 chick into the garage into a dog crate. My other broody hen is a little banty mix. I saw her go after the 1 little chick with her feathers all flared out and her tail up and making quite a racket at the chick. I think she killed the others. She's sitting on 3 eggs. Is she protecting her nest or is she jealous? Or just a mean hen? Also was wondering if anyone has tried substituting store bought day old chicks under a sitting hen, will she accept them? I thought I might try this. Any suggestions?

2. Summerlove

Summerlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I think it really depends on your hen and how determined she is to be a mother. I introduced 3 day olds to my broody silkie and she accepted them. They are now 6 weeks doing great, and my other broody the twin to the mother is now helping her raise the chicks [​IMG].

I introduced them at night and slipped the chicks under her from her tail side. I stayed to listen for about 15 minutes, everything seemed fine so I left them. Just to be sure she was accepting them I checked on them first thing in the morning. Also I would give the mama her own separate brooding area. Mine is in my coop with my other birds but she is sectioned off so my other birds can see the mama and her babies but they cannot bug or hurt them.

Good luck. Sorry about the little chickies you lost [​IMG]

3. Patsy2757

Mar 8, 2012
    Kansas
    Thanks! I'm going to try that this evening! I feel so bad for her. After sitting so patiently for all those days!

4. Patsy2757

Mar 8, 2012
    Kansas
    Set 4 store bought chicks under the Moma last night and all went well, but found 1 dead this morning. I think it got cold. There was one that wouldn't stay under her last night, kept coming back out when I'd put it under her. She'd even raise up and try nudging it under her.

5. Summerlove

Summerlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    How are mama and chicks doing?

6. Patsy2757

Mar 8, 2012
    Kansas
    She accepted them all! Doing very well. Thanks for asking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by