Mama is in the garage now... hope I did this right...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by volchick, May 20, 2010.

1. volchick

volchick In the Brooder

May 20, 2010
    I had little to go on from my other post so I hope I did okay. I got mama and eggs into the dog crate okay and got the crate into the garage. Boy mama was furious!! I was so afraid she'd crack one of the eggs. Bob, our rooster was extremely mad as well and I had to get my daughter to chase him away. The one egg that I heard chirping this morning is starting to peck through. Mama is having a hard time keeping the eggs under her now so I have had to open the cage a couple of times and cover her head with a cup so I can push the eggs back under her...

Hope everything goes okay...

2. Hows it going? Have the little ones hatched? I'm sure mama is all riled up, what with having her nest messed with and the eggs hatching! With any luck, she'll settle down once she sees her babies.

3. volchick

volchick In the Brooder

May 20, 2010
    As of this morning we haven't seen any babies. Last night we could hear at least the one chirping very clearly. I'm rethinking putting them in the garage, though... thinking maybe I should take the cage to our bathroom. My reasoning is that we have a cat and I'm afraid she'll try to get at the chicks... dh says mama will protect them fine and that I might do more harm than good...

4. Hmm. You said cage. Can the cat get in the cage?

In any event, I wouldn't move her again just yet. She would probably be upset. Once she's settled in she probably can defend the chicks. I'd just worry that if she's feeling like abandoning the nest anyway she might run off whens he sees kitty. Any way you can keep the cat out of the garage for a couple of days?

5. volchick

volchick In the Brooder

May 20, 2010
    Yes they are in a cage. The cat couldn't get in the cage... I was just thinking if she were to put her paw through it and try to get the babies. The cage is on top of our chest freezer but there is a little room for the cat to walk around the cage. Mama will probably protect them just fine... We have a cat door going from the house to the garage because the cat box is out there.

6. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    If I were you, I'd think about relocating the cat litter box temporarily and closing the garage off to the cat. I think it would be extremely stressful for the hen to have a predator prowling around her chicks and no way to escape.

When we put our chickens in the garage last winter on cold nights, I made my husband park his car outside because of the danger from the car exhaust. A bird's respiratory system is very efficient and therefore they are very sensitive to air quality problems.

7. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Songster

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    Our broody with eggs (now chicks) is in a Extra Large plastic dog crate, its a huge crate! We put a rubber maid dish pan in there, placed the eggs in that and put her on them and voila no problems (thankfully)

I would move that litter box, block off all access to the garage and keep it quiet in there. Where I have my chickie Momma is in our camper that we are converting to a coop, its nice and warm in there (with out being hot) no predators can get in, and she has a ton of room to move them if she chooses to now that they have hatched!

here is a photo that shows her, a couple of the chicks and the plastic wash pan as her nest! lol

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  8. volchick

volchick In the Brooder

May 20, 2010
    Okay, I put some towels all around the dog crate and moved it to our bathroom... Here is why: If I moved the litter box anywhere else our dogs would have access to it and eat the litter (and they would love that [​IMG] ), the garage would still be a lot more noisy than our bathroom because it's right off our kitchen which gets very noisy when I'm cooking our the kids are in there getting snack, etc. I can close off our bathroom and we have other bathrooms we can use and I can tell the kids not to watch movies in our bedroom... however, dh is not going to be happy because I didn't leave mama alone...

9. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Songster

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    At this point, she is moved and all you can do is hope for the best! We havent moved ours once we gave her the eggs. I am going to have to move her inside and the 10 eight week old chicks to the camper and Shewwww the dust and smell is starting to get right ripe lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by