Mama is looking for a hiding place

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bikergrl, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Bikergrl

Bikergrl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    My hen hatched 6 eggs about a month ago. She's been a great mother, very protective, but over the past 2 days she's started what seems to be a process of making the chicks fend for themselves. It began with her moving farther and farther from them, ignoring them when they squawked for her. Today, however, she actually seems to be hiding. Twice I found her huddled in the back seat of the car (she got in through the window) while the chicks ran around like crazy outside looking for her.

Is this normal? Should I be worried? I'm considering putting her in a separate coop for her own sanity. Any thoughts? The chicks are all quite robust and large so I'm not as worried about them as I am about the hen.

2. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    I have 2 hens mothering 6 chicks and tonight 1 mom decided they are big enough and went back in the big coop with the other hens and she was kind of hiding behind one of the other hens, had her head tucked into another's chest. I have read were some times they start pecking at the young to keep them away. Maybe she is just having a time out?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She's ready to start the cycle all over again. Don't be surprised if you find an egg in the back seat of your car. More eggs, set again, hatch another family, raise them, and the cycle goes on!

4. Bikergrl

Bikergrl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Sourland, you're so right! She laid an egg today for the first time since she went broody. Thankfully it was in the coop, though - we're keeping the car windows CLOSED from now on. My husband almost had a heart attack yesterday when he got in the car and turned around to see two beady eyes staring at him from the back seat.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by