1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mama is sitting tight

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Heathero617, May 13, 2011.

1. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Today is either day 19 or 20 could even be day 18 >not sure cause I was away the weekend she decided she was ready and my dad didnt notice< My question is this, is she going to just sit tight even IF the egg isnt going to hatch? There are 2 reasons for this question, 1 is because 1 of the eggs is a dud, i smell it and it hasnt an odor at all but its clear as day in there but she hasnt pushed it out of the nest or anything. Secondly, She got off the eggs today for a bit, not long at all then went back to her "post" while she was off, i took a quick peak, i dont see it moving like it was a few days ago but it is mostly filled with chick >the egg< i'm not hearing anything that resembles peeping. I'm just a nervous wreck i guess. Maybe i'll go out in the morning to find a baby, which would be awsome, but geezeeeeeeeeeee this is harder than i thought! LOL

2. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    anyone? this is kind of a bump post, i know most of you seem to use incubators but those who use the real deal can you chime in?

3. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    How many eggs is she on 1? With my hatches I go and take the egg and look for a little hole where the chick is starting to hatch I also can always hear them chirping every few mins You say the egg is clear and then you say its filled with chick??? She will sit and sit and sit until she gets a baby [​IMG] So just one egg under her

4. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    She's sitting on TWO eggs, one is clear one is stuffed with chick. I'm not hearing anything. Maybe tomorrow... i just have a not so good feeling is all and that would truely suck!

5. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Well if you see a chick in the egg I bet it will hatch when you least except it "IT" happens [​IMG] I sure hope it does for you and Mama hen. Also 21 days to hatch

6. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Yeah it's definately in there. Air sac and all, just a worry wart. From what i've been reading EVERYWHERE the 21 day rule applies to incubator hatching that au-naturelle hatching >mama sitting< actually tends to occur between days 19 and 20 but can go as long as day 25...so who knows at this point? She's still sitting tight this morning, grumpin when i lifted her lid to take a lookie, reached in to give her some love >she wont allow me near her off the nest< and she pecked at me pretty good for the first time, although its nothing compared to my RIR i had last year! Those boogers made my toe bleed once...taught me to not wear my flip-flops in the pen LOL I'm not so paitently awaiting this babys arrival so that I can move her and baby to the smaller part of the pen and allow the other chicks have full reign on the accomodations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by