Mama moved back in the coop and left the babies

Mo'sMenagerie

Songster
5 Years
Oct 16, 2018
Lyle,WA
I have a broody mama who has decided tonight she will end her duty as Mama to her three 6 week old chicks/pullets. She has moved back in to the coop, and the 3 babies are super confused.:( Mama and babies have all been living in a chicken tractor while Mama raised them, and thats where the 3 are now. The 6 other hens are going up to the main coop, but not the babies....:hmm

Should I put the 6 week old babies into the coop with everyone else or leave them in their tractor? Any help is much appreciated. This is my first time in this situation.

some would put them in, and some would let the chicks decide when they are ready to join the grown ups. I'm learning as I go along, and am not much further ahead than you. I had a couple of chicks last year who stayed with the adults throughout; that was really easy. It is more complicated this year: My youngest (8 wks old) have chosen to sleep in a temp coop in which their mum spent just a few nights with them before abandoning them and going back to the main flock, 2 wks ago; middle chicks (12 wks old) are still sleeping in a nesting box in one of the 2 proper coops, normally with (unrelated) second roo and (unrelated) lowest place hen; and the oldest chicks (bought in, 13 wks old) are still returning to the shed where they were quarantined a couple of months ago. The adults switch coops every now and then, while the chicks have been more fixed in their habits to date. They all go to these separate accommodations themselves after spending the day free ranging variously together as one flock or split into an adult and a juvenile flock. I expect the chicks to begin to integrate properly onto the adult roosts when they are ready, and don't mind the faff of 2 extra temp coops to maintain, and daily cleaning poop out of one nest box, in the meantime.

some would put them in, and some would let the chicks decide when they are ready to join the grown ups. I'm learning as I go along, and am not much further ahead than you. I had a couple of chicks last year who stayed with the adults throughout; that was really easy. It is more complicated this year: My youngest (8 wks old) have chosen to sleep in a temp coop in which their mum spent just a few nights with them before abandoning them and going back to the main flock, 2 wks ago; middle chicks (12 wks old) are still sleeping in a nesting box in one of the 2 proper coops, normally with (unrelated) second roo and (unrelated) lowest place hen; and the oldest chicks (bought in, 13 wks old) are still returning to the shed where they were quarantined a couple of months ago. The adults switch coops every now and then, while the chicks have been more fixed in their habits to date. They all go to these separate accommodations themselves after spending the day free ranging variously together as one flock or split into an adult and a juvenile flock. I expect the chicks to begin to integrate properly onto the adult roosts when they are ready, and don't mind the faff of 2 extra temp coops to maintain, and daily cleaning poop out of one nest box, in the meantime.
Many ways do it so it seems. Sounds like you have your hands full! Good luck. And thank you for sharing. This is helpful.

Put them in with the Flock. Should of done so before Momma weaned them. Best of luck..
Thanks. The group has been together since day one, it's just the mama and babies were sleeping separately in a chicken tractor in the run. I went ahead and put the chicks in with the re-united flock in the main coop last night. Everything seemed t go well. The only hiccup being the newbies (6 week olds) couldn't figure out how to leave the coop in the morning.

Thanks. The group has been together since day one, it's just the mama and babies were sleeping separately in a chicken tractor in the run. I went ahead and put the chicks in with the re-united flock in the main coop last night. Everything seemed t go well. The only hiccup being the newbies (6 week olds) couldn't figure out how to leave the coop in the morning.
:D..That's great. They will learn quickly..:frow

Back
Top Bottom