Mama not sitting--what to do with eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OHhappychicks, Apr 12, 2011.

1. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    One of our speckled sussex hens was not in the henhouse at shut-in time. Went to look for her and found her in the barn. Picked her up and she was sitting on 14 eggs!!! She had not been sitting on them as she has been in at shut-in every eve. We put her back down on them, but she didn't sit. She went back to the henhouse. So we moved the eggs into a separate henhouse that is not in use, and put her in there. Well this morn, she was on the roost and the eggs were cold. We left her in until about noon, and she still hadn't been on the eggs. My question is, what should I do with the eggs? My dh said she laid one this morn, because there are now 15 eggs, but he didn't know which one it was. We don't know how long she has been laying the eggs. Have noticed in the last week or 10 days of a reduction in eggs, but didn't find this nest until yesterday eve.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If she laid an egg today she's not going to set for you. I'd do the float test and eat or toss accordingly. Put them in a glass of water, eat the ones that sink, toss the floaters. And don't crack them straight into your cake batter!

3. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Thank you ddawn!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by