Mama Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JakRat, Dec 19, 2011.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Has anyone ever had any experience with a rooster acting like a mama hen?

2. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    How do you mean?

3. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    I've had hens acting like roosters----up to a point.

I've also had hens that crowed, so why not the other way around?

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

A few of my roos will check out nest boxes and encourage pullets and hens to lay in them after he's determined the nests are good. I've had a rooster who was injured - so he didn't leave the coop much - and he babysat eggs for a broody hen by sitting on them during her daily constitutional outing, and then also helped her keep the little ones safe when they hatched...

My dominant rooster will run at other roosters getting too aggressive with chicks, protecting them.

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I had a game rooster that sat on eggs...very unmanly [​IMG]

brother had one that sat on eggs

6. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    That's so interesting! I have a porcelain duccle that keeps jumping into the chicks part of the coop.I would put the wire higher but he is just so neat with them ... like a stern mom. He will jump over Peck at them a bit then he will go to sleep. Last night when I went out to check on them one was sleeping under him and the other was snuggled up against him. I'm guessing that the pecking is to keep them in line. He only does it right when he hops in.

7. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    One of my silkie roos really took his fatherly duties seriously. The babies slept under him more than the hen. It was so cute. I never would have expected this behavior from him. He would even call them over for food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by