Mama runner and her babies :D

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shelleyd2008, Jul 14, 2011.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Aren't they cute? [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Oh, they are! I love all the colors. Runners always make me laugh. [​IMG]

3. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    Awwww, they are so cute. I got my runners this year and I hope I get some babies next year.

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

TOOOOOOOOoooooo cute! [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Precious [​IMG]

6. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Babies !!!! Yep they are very cute !!! How does she do with the other ducks around. is she loud while she is with her ducklings/?? I have a magpie duck that will be hatching out some welsh harlequin /magpie ducklings, and some welsh harlequin silver phase ducklings the first of August.. This my first time with having ducklings hatched out so don't know what to expect.. I am counting the days. Ellie is a good mom she only comes off the nest in the morning and evenings..

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I love runners, so freakin cute the way they run/walk. [​IMG]

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    She has 2 pekins, 1 rouen, 1 rouen/pekin mix (looks like a light brown rouen), and the rest are blue runner/pekin mixes. None of them are her babies. She had been sitting eggs for almost 4 weeks, she was within 5 days at most of hatching her eggs. My dad had recently gotten a new dog that he refused to put up, he just let her run free. Between her stealing them and the drakes causing mama to break them, she didn't hatch any [​IMG]

So about a week later the little sneak found a nest of eggs in the barn and decided to start setting...she hadn't even started laying again! [​IMG] She was very determined and is doing a wonderful job [​IMG]

@pirtykitty: The other ducks don't bother her at all, and she is not loud. She is actually quieter now than she was before she had babies. She only quacks when something is wrong (baby is in the pool and can't get out [​IMG]) or when some of the babies straggle behind.

I did have problems the first few days with my geese terrorizing them. One of the little blue babies has an injured leg, I assume from being stepped on by a 20+ pound goose. But the geese have finally decided to leave them alone and the baby has no problems keeping up with everyone. It's leg seems to be getting better, it's not quite as hoppy as it was a few days ago.

Mama Runner likes to hang out with mama Rouen, who has 1 baby that is 10 days older [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  9. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Thank you for getting back to me... Ellie my rescued magpie ( in Feb). decieded to go broody about 10 days ago give or take alittle... she was a little loud mouth before and very chatty.. now everyone knows when she's off the nest to eat and drink etc..and its get out of my way I'm hungry. lol... The other two ducks Stanley and Daisy ( WH's) kind of peak in on her under the bush but don't really bother her.. now the 3 pullets one day were giving her fits when they found out she was in there... I have a 14 x 14 ft net folded and placed over the top of the bush so that has cut down on the 3 16 wee old chickens hopping on top... now they just mostly walk by. I'm hoping they won't be a problem when the ducklings hatch..
    Daisy the welsh harlequin tried to go broody last year in march.. no signs of it I don't think this year.. plus its almost time for her to quite laying and to molt... stanley is already lost his wing feathers...

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Babies are a little over 5 weeks old now...they grow up so fast! Here are some new pics, enjoy!

Mama Runner:
    [​IMG]

Baby girl Runner mix (right), another Runner mix baby (drinking from the bucket), Pekin baby girl, and a Rouen mix baby (I think the Rouen is Junior: from a Rouen mama and crested Pekin daddy...Junior has a very full crest [​IMG])
    [​IMG]

Rouen mix baby girl (light brown), 2 Runner mix babies
    [​IMG]

Runner mix baby on the left, not sure if the Rouen (back center) and Pekin (center) are babies or adults?? Adult Rouen drake (molting) in foreground
    [​IMG]

Mama Runner (fawn & white--center), Pekin baby girls, Rouen mix baby girl (light brown), Runner mix babies (foreground and background)
    [​IMG]

Runner mix baby girl (white head and neck), Runner mix baby, Rouen mix baby (light brown), Junior (Rouen/crested Pekin mix with HUGE crest from a different hatch), and a Runner mix baby's booty on right [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just because they're cute, the newest additions to the duck herd: Mama Rouen and her 2 Rouen babies (2 or 3 weeks old)
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by