1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mama sharing- silkie sisters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Eckielady, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Eckielady

Eckielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    So I have two silkie hens that I purchased together. They were always close and when one went broody for the first time the other shortly followed. They have been nesting together for the full 20 days and babies are due tomorrow. The eggs get pushed back and forth between them. I can't wait to see how they parent and was curious if anyone has dealt with this before? Did they coparent? Each claimed whichever babies happened to hatch under them? Something different? They are sharing 13 eggs.
    [​IMG]

2. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    I have had this happen to me before. if the hens got along very well, prior to going broody, then really the chicks will have 2 moms and they will just go back and forth between one and the other if the moms separate to forage, which I will doubt they will do very much, since sisters tend to stay close together even when they are adults. it will be a bit confusing for the chicks at first, but it will actually be very entertaining to look at. You will have a blast with the 2 moms and the babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by