1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mama Silkie Let me down,

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jimnjay, Apr 22, 2007.

1. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I got up this morning ( day 21) to find two hatched chicks dead or dying right next to the mama. She had hatched 3 others and they were under her but these two had been pushed out or crawled out and she did nothing. I noticed one took a gasp and I rushed it into the house and set up a brooder quickly. I was able to save one of the two. I decided to take all the chicks in case she decided to leave them as well. She had 3 more eggs that had pipped. I took one more several hours later. We had to run to town and after being gone several hours, I returned to find the mama off the nest dusting and haveing a gay ole time. The last two eggs were cold but the poor chicks were alive and peeping up a storm. I took them in and set up a different brooder and placed them on a warm damp towel and cranked up the temp. I got them warmed up and decided to help the hatch as I felt sure they would not be in a good position to continue their progress after the shock of getting cold then being warmed. The membrane was very dry. I peeled the shell and left membrane, returned them for a while and them proceeded to peel some of the membrane back. They both finished the job of pushing out of the remaining shell and breaking thru the membrane. I think the damp towel did help moisten the membrane enough to help them finish. I hated to make the decision to do it but, I felt they were gonners if left. They are both dry now and peeping and sleeping. They have moved away from the light some so they seem to be moving ok. I will post pics of the babies in the morning. I hope I have Seven to show off.

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Awww...sorry the Momma let you down, but glad you were quick on your feet and were able to save most of them! good for you![​IMG]

3. Good save, Jaynie.

Lisa

4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice save!!!

I guess maybe that hen is lacking in maternal instincts??

Good thing you were home at the time. I'm so afraid that my eggs will hatch and need help and I will be at work!!

Don't forget to post pics!!!

Lori

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:I'm glad you were able to save the little babies!!! I had the same thing (pretty much) happen to me. My black silkie is always broody as all get out, but when it comes to taking care of babies, she is the WORST mother. The babies ended up going to one of my cochins, who will adopt anything she can get her wings on!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by