Mama thought she knew... UNTIL SHE SAW A PIC!!!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by crazygoatlady915, Jun 5, 2011.

1. crazygoatlady915

crazygoatlady915 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Idaho
    ...What am I? My name is Analise, and Mama thinks I'm a barnyard mix, even though when she bought me, the bin said "Arucana". I DON'T LOOK LIKE AN ARUCANA!!!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh, yes. And this is my best friend, Roselyn, who is also an 'Arucana'. She is a 9-10 week old pullet. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Sorry- but we aren't very photogenic)

2. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    some kinna chikken

3. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    Easter Egger.

4. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    Quote:X2

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Both Easter Egger pullets.

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:x2

7. Barrdwing

Barrdwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Green legs, pea comb . . . yup, my bet would be Easter Egger too. Some of them will have muffs and a beard, others won't.

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I believe these are diluted EEs. Not that EEs have a standard, but the general rule is muffs, green leggs, green or blue eggs, beards, and a pea comb. Yours actually have straight combs and no evidence of the muffs or beard, which points to the possiblity that someone took a full EE, and bred it with another egg-laying variety. Perhaps hoping for bigger eggs.

Regardless, these are very pretty birds and should lay pretty faithfully for you.

As a note for Araucanas, most hatcheries incorrectly lable their EEs as an Araucana (or more hilariously, 'Americauna'.). Araucanas are a very pure strain that are usually only avaible via breeder. I have only run into 1 hatchery that correctly lables them. BUT, to be honest, I love love love my little EEs, so I say poo-poo to trading them in for real Araucanas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by