Mamajewels and her 5 new Chicks!

Mamajewels

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2021
Sagle, Idaho
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Yes I'm new, I needed a template to compose my 1st post.
I adopted 6 adult hens the week of December 1st. Along with a small to medium coop.. Within the 1st 24 hours my Husky and Golden Retriever decided to invade the coop area when I was out getting acquainted with the girls. Unfortunately, that night ended with the loss of one of the Chickens, I was devastated!! Of course my 1st thought was, now what,, and can I really handle this?? Well here we are 2 months in and I talk to them every morning, afternoon and night.. I want them to know my voice and that I'm their friend!

I decided long ago that one day I would have chickens, only I wanted to start from chicks, and grow to hens. My oldest daughter recently went threw a divorce, and couldn't get the coop threw the fate of the house she and her children had to move into, Sooo, my adventure in raising Chickens began!!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Currently 5!! Healthy, very talkative ladies! 🤗 And yes, I already want more . . .

(3) What breeds do you have? 1 Americana, 1 silver laced Wyandotte, 1 Plymouth Barred Rock, and 2 Buffalo Orpingtons, I have to say the Buffs are my favorites!

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? Honestly, their personalities and I must say I love the surprise of collecting eggs!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Loving on my dogs!! Gardening, picture taking and crafting, Creating gifts from my kitchen!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I'm married, 18 years now. We have a home in Sagle, moved here from Oregon almost 6 years ago! My husband is currently a general sales manager in Moses Lake, we have a Golden Retriever 10years old and a Rescued Husky 4 years old, I'm retired though I clean houses on occasion and I take care of my Mother in Law who lives with us.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community

I learned of BYC today at North 40 when I went in asking questions about the importance of "grit" and "Diatomaceous Earth" Grit i think i really understand, D.E. I'm still looking for more info and answers on.

So that's me in a nutshell! A big nutshell, but so far enjoying my new pets!
20201218_145128.jpg
20201216_091758.jpg
20210109_145921.jpg
20210109_150129.jpg

BDutch

Free Ranging
5 Years
May 19, 2015
the Netherlands
My Coop
My Coop
1611392417877.gif

Hello manajewels, welcome to this fast growing awsome community. Great intro and pics ❤ .
Check out the article section for some general advice and love you’re chicken for what they are.

If you want more chickens you probably need a safe large run. If you need to lock them up bc of the dogs this run is quit small already imo. And if you can have a rooster (find one that is proven to be gentle), offspring / chicks should be no problem at all.

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Hopefully spring will bring plans to greatly expand your run. It is far to small for the number of birds your currently have. Expansion will also require a (much) larger coop.
DE is really only good for mixing in very sparingly to feed in the bag to prevent insect infestation. All the hype about it preventing or worse, curing, external and internal parasites is completely false.

Callender Girl

Free Ranging
Sep 18, 2018
North Central Iowa
Very nice intro; it's good to meet you. Sounds like chicken math is already getting its grip on you.

I agree with DobieLover that more space is better for chickens, and if people saw some of my coops, they would likely think those too small. I strive for 4 square foot of space per chicken.

But, except during extreme weather (which means actual storms because in northern Iowa half the year is way too cold or way too hot), my girls spend their days outside of their coops/runs. Mostly, they just roost and sleep there, so I believe they have enough space for that. They free range when I'm home, which is nearly all the time.

Your girls are lovely, and I understand why the Buffs are your favorite. My Buff, Honey, is the undisputed chicken queen here.

Welcome to BYC!

Top Bottom