!Mamma goat is at the vet with Bloat (very sad ending)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Dorothy1324, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Dorothy1324

Dorothy1324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    my Poor mamma goat is at the vets for the day she has bloat and is very sick i did the mineral oil here at home and walked her and walked her but she was so uncomfortable so i took her to the vet they tubed her and she just stood there and let them she is normaly a very skiddish goat i am so worried about her she is going to stay at the vet's for at least the rest of the day and see how it goes from there.

The Vet just called me to let me know that Mamma did not make it through the night. She had stayed there with her untill 11 last night and when she came in at 5 this morning she was gone. I am so torn up crying mess. my only thoughts are what about her 6 week old bucklings i have tried to get them to take a bottle and they just wont do it what should i do.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

OH my gosh! [​IMG]

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ooh! i hope she'll be okay!! Bloat is one of my biggest fears with my goats and my dogs. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    My vet said that bloat is running rampant this year. No one knows why. I hope she gets totally better really soon and can come home.

5. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    [​IMG] Keep us updated [​IMG] Bloat is scary. I have a wether that looks like he's bloated all of the time.

6. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    One of the most common things that causes bloat in goats is entertoxemia. Make sure your goat is up on its shots for entero, (clostridium perfingens). Entero is by no means the only thing that causes bloat, but it is one of the most common. And the best treatment I ever found for bloat is GasX. When I had my goats I ALWAYS had GasX in the barn. It is safe and very effective. Works fast too. The trouble with oil is that it is so easy to get some of it in the lungs. Then, while you may cure the bloat, the animal will die of a mechanical pneumonia in a few days. When I had my dairy, I tried all the recommended treatments for bloat. The usual outcome was the patient dying in my arms. A fellow dairyman told me about GasX and the results were truly amazing.

7. Dorothy1324

Dorothy1324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    well i just spoke with the vet to see if Mamma could come home tonight and she said that even after all the oil and being tubed she is still not passing any stool so now she is thinking a blockage of some sort. Does anyone have any experience with this should i suggest anything to the vet.

8. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Displaced abomasum?

9. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    Awww...I am so sorry this is happening to you. I hope she is feeling better tomorrow and there isn't a blockage. Keep us posted.

10. KareyABohr

KareyABohr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    SE Iowa
    The bloat in my goats has been bad too! I havent lost any THANK GOD, but I have had to anti-tox one. Thank god DH does that so my milk fed billy kids think he is the big meanie and love me!

Good luck! Clostridium is my worst nightmare!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by