Mamma hen pecking chicks wings

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by limpychick, Apr 20, 2008.

1. limpychick

limpychick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Smithfield Virginia
    have a bantam hen that hatched out 3 eggs last weekend. I have to keep her in a large dog crate with her chicks or my barn cats (2 of them) will probably hunt the chicks. They will leave them alone as they get bigger, but until then I have them caged. Anyway, the hen keeps pecking at the chicks wings. So much so that the wings are bloodied and underneath is naked. I have been putting them (in the cage) outside so that mamma can scratch, pick at grass and corn and see daylight. She doesn't seem to be eating her chicken pellets, only the corn (only in the am) and grub worms we dig up.... What is up? Do I need to take the chicks from her?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If the chicks are bloody I would take them and brood them myself. Put her back in the coop. Not every hen that hatches out chicks will make a good mother. Put a little neosporin on the chicks wings to prevent infection. Give them chick starter, water and a heat lamp.

3. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    Quote:sorry off topic but this gives me visions of you sitting on chicks and feeding them making the "get it cmere get it" sounds. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by