Mamma Hen Stepped on Hatching Chick!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by apmorris, Aug 14, 2010.

1. apmorris

apmorris Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    Grand Ledge
    Help! I have 5 fertile eggs/chicks, in various stages of hatching right now. The mamma hen stepped on one of the chicks and extruded a yellowish-red mass from the chick's vent. I moved the hen, as she didn't seem to understand that her chicks were hatching-she was walking all over them. The chick is still alive, breathing, but not really moving. Will this chick die? Was the mass that was extruded the contents of the chick's stomach? This happened about an hour ago and the chick is still alive.

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    You don't say how many eggs you have left to hatch, but the best thing is to leave them and her alone, and probably you won't save all of them, but it upsets and confuses the hen, who is trying to figure this whole show out when there is too much human intervention.

Not all the eggs will hatch, and not all that hatch are strong enough to make it. I know how hard it is to leave them alone, and it is amazing to me that they can hatch under neath a hen, dry off and pop out into the new world, does not seem like it would work.

Mrs.K

3. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    Im not sure about the stuff coming out from the baby's vent. That doesn't sound good [​IMG] but I had my broody hen step on one of her babies after it had pipped, and the egg was crushed on one side. I took it inside, wrapped it in a damp wet washcloth and put it in the incubator that I happened to be running anyway. It took another good 12-14 hours, but the chick hatched and is doing great now. I returned it to its mom as soon as it was fluffed up. Im sure I saved it, I think it would've been stepped on and crushed further if I didnt remove it.
    Good luck, keep us posted [​IMG]

4. apmorris

Feb 22, 2009
    Grand Ledge
    I moved the chick and the other unhatched eggs into an incubator about 90 minutes after the hen stepped on the chick. The chick is not walking, but I have always let the hen take care of the chicks, so I don't know if not walking 6-8 hours after hatching is normal. One other egg has hatched since I brought the eggs inside-the chick is breathing but motionless, but the other eggs are unhatched and do not show any sign of activity.
    I am concerned that the hen may have broken the chick's pelvis when she stepped on her. The chick is cheeping and I am giving her dilute sugar water. The hen showed a sudden disinterest in being a mom. The hen was not in the nesting box when a chick hatched yesterday. That chick was quickly killed by another hen while it was hatching.....then this one is stepped on to the point of extruding a substance. My husband and I are very concerned.

5. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    oh geez Im sorry, that doesnt sound good [​IMG]. I would think that if it's not moving at all yet, then it's probably not going to make it. Usually after hatching, they rest quite a bit, but also flop around alot while they're gaining strength. Poor baby. Please keep us updated, you never know, maybe it will be okay? Crossing fingers here for you.....

6. apmorris

Feb 22, 2009
    Grand Ledge
    The chick survived overnight, but definitely has something hanging out of its vent. It is able to walk somewhat and i am still feeding it dilute sugar water. I will offer it Start-N-Grow today. If it lives until tomorrow, i can call the poultry lab at Michigan State University to get a better idea of whether it will be able to retract whatever is hanging out of it.
    In better news, two other chicks hatched in the incubator overnight and one looks like it is trying to hatch.

7. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    it sound like it the yoke (the food in the egg) you will need dental floss and scissors tie the floss around the yoke at the base and then snip. if it is the yoke and you do cut it of (verify it is before doing so) it will need food and fast as it will have none "in storage" but verify first i don't want you to cut organs or something important.

8. apmorris

Feb 22, 2009
    Grand Ledge
    Thanks, I was hoping that it was the yolk. I also think the chick has some sort of prolapsed vent, but am hoping that will retract. The chick is moving better now. Last night, I was *sure* it had a broken pelvis.

9. apmorris

Feb 22, 2009
    Grand Ledge
    I am pretty sure I will have to euthanize the chick. It looks like a loop of her intestines have prolapsed outside of her body. I tried to push the loop back in, to no avail. I will call Michigan State University in the morning, to get their opinion. Poor chick.

10. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    im sorry you had to lose her because of the hen, you did your best and that is all th little one could ask for

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by