Mamma Hen's "Lock-down" vs. Man-Made Incubator's "Lock-down"???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by _Randall_, May 14, 2010.

1. _Randall_

_Randall_ Songster

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Just been wondering......Does mamma hen know to stop turning her eggs the last 3 days of the hatching cycle? Does she know to raise the humidity up through the roof the last 3 days? Does she know to not come off of those eggs the last 3 days while there's pips? Not trying to be facetious........I'm really curious of how our "artificial" incubation standards derived from Mamma Hen's way of doing it?

2. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Songster

Sep 22, 2009
    No clue but I have three pipped and I saw FRESH big broody poop today so I'm guessing she still has to get off to poop either way, pip or not. [​IMG]

3. panner123

panner123 Songster

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    A hen continues to turn the eggs until they hatch, but she is doing this though her movements on the nest. The reason for not turning the last three days is, most of us use a turner and what would happen to a chick if it was to get hung up in it (a dead chick). Some eggs hatch earlier than others. Also, opening and closing the bator causes the temp to drop when you least want it to. The humidity is raised naturally by the hatching eggs. As an egg hatches the fluid from this eggs is what increases the humidity, the hen doesn't do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by