Mammoth Sunflower Seed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dirtyhip, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Dirtyhip

Dirtyhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    The Cascades
    I assume chickens can eat these seeds. I read that they like black oil sunflower seed and read that some of you feed them these seeds.

About what age can you feed them sunflower seeds? I am sure that they won't eat these seeds until they are big birds.

My garden is a cornacopia of 12 foot tall Mammoths, but I should have a new crop by next year. We are still on track to get our pullets in Spring 2012.

Thanks, friends.

Mouse

2. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I'm sorry I can't say - the birds always eat any I plant before they mature. Do you do anything to keep the birds off? Though if I did have them I would feed them any chicken which could swallow them easily. Good luck!

3. Dirtyhip

Dirtyhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    The Cascades
    "Do you do anything to keep the birds off?"

Not really. I just plant plenty.

4. rngrbill

rngrbill Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Good for you. The wee folk need feeding two. [​IMG]

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It's a good 'treat' but shouldn't be used as feed. Black oil sunflower seed has over 25% fat content so a handful a day as treats is plenty. Save your seeds for winter when they can use the added fat to keep warm. We planted sunflower this year too just for the real cold days that are coming.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    There is a difference between Black Oil Sunflower Seed (BOSS) and Striped Sunflower Seed.
    Other than size and there look the biggest difference is that Striped have a higher Protein but less oil (Fat) where as Boss has a somewhat lower Protein content and they are much higher in oil.

Striped --
    Protein – 23 Fat – 26, Fiber – 20
    Boss --
    Protein – 16 Fat – 43 Fiber – 13

Chris

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by