Man attempt at visually/vocally sexing two young ducklings.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by XxBLUExX, Mar 11, 2015.

1. XxBLUExX

XxBLUExX Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    So long story short, I have a friend who's raising a ducking with her chicks.
    Both of our Ducks are from TSC.
    Hers is older, already starting to get white fluffy down and it's about a good size or two bigger than my duck.
    I note that hers has a loud piercing chirp that sounds like a car alarm. While I notice my duckling has a quieter more trill mumbling sound.
    I notice her duck's head goes seamlessly into its beak, whereas mine has more of a brow, and when I look at my duck I notice she/he has a more drakey looking head+beak. (If that makes sense)
    Also hers doesn't have near as much chest as mine does, hers stands a bit more upright where as mine juts his/her chest out.
    I assume they're both pekins as that's all this tractor supply really gets.
    I don't have any pictures of her duck, but I'll try to get some along with sounds of hers, I'm trying to get a video of mine chirping to upload.
    Anyways here's some pictures of the fast growing little one. [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. XxBLUExX

Mar 3, 2015
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. XxBLUExX

Mar 3, 2015
  4. XxBLUExX

Mar 3, 2015
    *an not Man xD

5. r-dale

r-dale Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2014
    Belize
    blue, If you bought it straight run, and from what you said, and the photo, I'd give you a 50% chancne that that is a male duck.

1 person likes this.
  6. PekinDiaries

PekinDiaries Chillin' With My Peeps

Unfortunately, from what I've been told, and from what I've seen from my two, month old, pekins.. There's really no telling until they are full grown. I posted something very similar to this. Its so hard waiting and wondering. Haha! [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/957178/guess-the-gender

7. XxBLUExX

Mar 3, 2015
    Darn.
    Well I shall love him/her regardless of gender, good name her/his name is Zaxby, seems like a cute unisex name.
    Hopefully I pick a female out when I go thurs.
    Will two drakes that are raised together with no hens start fighting?
    If I happen to get two boys I'd hate having to re home one 3:

8. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010

I never had any issues with my boys (pekins) They were best friends. Even after adding girls they still stick together and do their own thing!

9. XxBLUExX

Mar 3, 2015
    Aw that's sweet :3
    I'm too excited to pick up a friend for my little one.

10. PekinDiaries

PekinDiaries Chillin' With My Peeps

We have been itching to find out the gender of ours. Sometimes we think ones a girl, the next moment we are switching our guesses.
    Zaxby is an adorable name! Good luck on getting a girl! They will be buddies no matter what, and I'm sure that it will be nice for Zaxby to have someone to play with/talk to. :D

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by