1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Man can baby quail chicks eat!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by crimsonmama, Jan 22, 2017.

1. crimsonmama

crimsonmama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2017
    I've nine of the little fluffers and boy are they going through the chick crumb! They are just over a week old now and getting their proper wing feathers through. I clean them out everyday! They eat nearly non-stop! I take it they can't overeat? It's just I am sure they wouldn't find as much food as they are eating naturally in the wild??!!

And they drink alot of water too! I have two water bottles I have to top up twice daily. Not cos of empty but cos somehow they get mess everywhere!!

They are funny cute little things!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  2. Palletto26

Palletto26 Just Hatched

Jan 19, 2017
    They are growing rapidly, so they will eat a lot of food, I hope you enjoy them, I've got some new arrivals myself, 4 Five day old Americauna chicks, they too have been eating lots.

3. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Grats to you both and lovely pics :D! Sooo cute :3

Hehe yes let them eat freely and I did notice that quail, even adults, seem to drink very often :p

4. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Awww, so cute! In the wild they'd be eating bugs which can be extremely high in protein (I know crickets are 60%+ protein) rather than the grain based food we have available to feed them, so they probably would be eating less volume wise, but their parents would be working hard, that's for sure!

Elevating the water helps with the mess. Either a block of wood or something to get it out of the firing line, although they will still manage to get some grot in it. I usually pile up straw around a big block of wood so they can climb the straw. They are messy but so endearing, and so great for kids. Our kids adore their quail.

5. MatrixJak

MatrixJak New Egg

Jan 22, 2017
    What breed are these? I am guessing Coturnix?

6. crimsonmama

Jan 2, 2017
    Yes mine are Coturnix quail :)

7. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    as for the mess in the water, try nipple water system next time, it is clean and you only need to clean the container weekly.

8. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee

In warmer weather I usually have them outside and place a lamp in the brooder to attract the night insects. Free food and they love it, going crazy trying to catch the night bugs.

When cool or warm, I also buy a can of sardeins in water and mush it up and put that in a small bowl and let them feed for extra proteins. they will eat at it, and what they dont eat I leave out to attract flies which lay those eggs then the maggots come, they love these as well.

It sound gross to us, but birds eat these things in the wild every day as part of their diets.

9. crimsonmama

Jan 2, 2017

I got a poultry waterer for my older chicks now as they drink alot with nine of them! I did see nipple water things but wasn't sure if they would know how to use them? Do adults use them too?? Even with the poultry waterer they still get mess in the trough!

10. Dani xxx

Dani xxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    They make less mess if u raise it on a brick or something less bedding kicked in ! X:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by