Man I hope these chicks figure it out soon

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bobbieschicks, Dec 1, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    This is so frustrating. I keep screwing up the automatic door timing because of manually forcing it closed at night. Had to run out there at 6:30am and manually open the door - that's why I got the auto opener - so I wouldn't have to rush out there in the cold!

It's been 3 nights of going out there at dark and putting the babies into the coop & forcing the door to close early - then it doesn't open in the a.m. like it's supposed to open. They are 7 weeks old - you would think they'd get it by now. My last clutch got it after the first night at 6 weeks old! The bigs (2 White Leghorns, 1 Ancona & 2 EEs) all go in at night no problem, but the babies just hang out chirping in the run yelling "momma, come put me in the coop please!" Gotta love pampered Lavender Orpingtons and Silkies [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Awww...they're adorable! I like the coloring on that one silkie waiting impatiently on the ramp in the traffic jam too [​IMG] Have you tried a small light on inside each evening? That little bit of light might attract them inside each night??? It worked on mine [​IMG]
    Yeah, I try not to manually do anything with my auto door, because I will inevitably screw it up...lol.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Love that picture! The "traffic jam" at the door is adorable! I don't know about the automatic door, I close mine the old fashioned way. In all kinds of weather [​IMG] anyhoo- I've had chicks I've never had to show a thing to, and I've had chicks so dense I've considered leaving them outside! The last batch of chicks I raised were just [​IMG] I had to put them on the roost every night for over two weeks. Twenty of them. Then one night- BAM, they just did it on their own. I still have a frizzle that waits for me at the door every night, but he can't fly. So I give him a quick snuggle and place him on the roost. Keep trying, their tiny chicken brains will get it eventually. Good luck!

4. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Okay - it's night number 4 - the sun is starting to set and my older ones are already heading into the coop. By one hour from now the sun will be sufficiently low and it will be dark. I am so hoping I don't have to rush out there and put the babies inside. The auto door is supposed to close at 6pm - however if I have to go out there earlier and close it manually after putting the babies inside it will reopen at 6 pm! I am so praying that they will all go inside on their own and I can just check later and make sure everyone made it in after the door closed.

This is how I know the door will reopen, the other night I put them inside at 5pm and manually closed the door. Then I left, ran some errands, returned home, stepped outside at 6 pm in the dark to unplug the Christmas lights and heard a strange whirring noise. I didn't know what it was and quickly forgot about the noise. Then I got ready for bed. The kids went to bed & it was time for us to head to sleep. I went to bed and suddenly had a weird feeling. I suddenly thought the whirring noise was the coop door opening. So I got back out of bed and looked outside with the flashlight - sure enough the door was wide open to the coop! I rushed out there and closed it - then I unplugged the thing so it wouldn't open again erroneously.

Auto doors are great until you need to manually manipulate them - then they can be a big pain in the butt! However, they are still SOOOOOO worth it!

5. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I went out at 4:30 and the bigs had come back out of the coop - they were milling around under the coop. The littles were hanging out in front of the ramp so I helped everyone walk up the ramp and into the coop. I left them alone with the door open so that the bigs could follow up into the coop later. I checked a few minutes ago and the rooster had run everyone back out of the coop! Now everyone is milling around outside. I can either go put everyone in bed before the sun sets or hope they all get in by the time the door closes at 6pm. Then I will have to go out there an move anyone left hanging around! UGH! Go inside already! It's dark and cold out there! The roost is safe and warm! [​IMG]

6. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    I would set the time for WAY after dark. Some do not go to roost - bed- till 10pm. I don't think you can force them into a set bed time.
    Mine go in for a nap nearing sun set but then go back out for one more look around. My door closes at 8

7. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I just checked, the sun has almost disappeared and I found everyone is inside the coop. The door is set to close st 6 pm so I'll check again and hopefully they will stay comfortably inside. Yeah!

The next thing will be teaching them where to roost as they are roosting at the door on the 2x4 I use to keep shavings inside the coop.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  8. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    YEAH! Everyone put themselves inside tonight and stayed there! The door closed at 6 pm and all is right in my little chicken world [​IMG]

9. KFaye

KFaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    woohoo. I don't have an auto door..hmm seems like a good idea! Currently my auto door is a 9 yr old boy. ha.

10. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:Haha! I can't get my 10 year old out there at night. He gets home from swimming around 6:30 pm and it's pitch black out there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by