Man this Organic feed looks so different to their regular feed!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chick_a_dee, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    I splurged and bought the $24 organic layer feed, the label doesn't say what the % is but that doesn't worry me much, it's a layer feed. BUT, it looks NOTHING like what I was feeding before! Theres whole grains in it, not a lot of corn It seems and there was corn in the old stuff.

[​IMG]

I've never fed Organic feed before, what do you guys think?

And for Pat, it's Merrylynd Organics! Their prices are on their website, it's cheaper to buy direct from them.. $24/bag at my mill compared to their $16/bag. They also sell meats, so we're considering just buying direct from them and getting our meat for the month there.

http://merrylynd.com/merrylynd_organics.htm

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  2. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Where did you get it.......I want some.

3. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Good Luck! On top of the whole grains, you bought a LOT of chaff. I donʻt know how many kilos are in $25 C, but in terms of bulk, half of whatʻs in your picture will make good bedding, not food.

Did the bag indicate the mix?

The other problem is whether the grower of the grains was organic, or whether they are just calling the end product organic because there were no additional chemicals added.

"Organic", "Natural", & "Green" are such over-used and underdefined terms that you really donʻt know what you are getting or from who. Iʻd stick to Purina if I were you.

4. Ga Chicken Mom

Ga Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    Don't know what the whole grain is - the organic feed I buy from Countryside Natural Products looks different. Their first ingredient is field peas and I can see dried green peas in the mix. Just a word of caution - I always fed organic when my girls got to be laying age,once prices started to go sky high I tried to switch to regular layer feed. My girls turned up their beaks so it was back to the organic. Can't really say I blame them, the organic feed looks a whole lot healthier than the regular.

5. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:They are certified organic. That's not good. I guess I'll take it back, but I don't think the mill will take it back.

6. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:It looks like whole oats to me. I think I'm going to try to take it back, but it's out of the bag now and I don't think they'll take it.

7. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:I don't buy Purina, I buy Land O Lakes, it's a local mix.

8. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    They are certified organic. That's not good. I guess I'll take it back, but I don't think the mill will take it back.

If they won't take it back you can always use it as scratch. Tossed onto good soil the whole grains will probably sprout when spring comes around and add some tasty greens for them to nibble on.​

9. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:If they won't take it back you can always use it as scratch. Tossed onto good soil the whole grains will probably sprout when spring comes around and add some tasty greens for them to nibble on.

Yeah, I think I'll take that and just use it as scratch grain. I've been meaning to buy some anyway to make the chickens lives more interesting LOL.

I'm not impressed, the more I looked at that feed the more I disliked it. It's VERY dusty, and where the label is supposed to list the protein, fat, etc. %% it DOESN'T there isn't even a lot #. I've emailed the company direct, this has nothing to do with the feed mill, it's a product quality issue now.

I don't think I'm going to go organic now, this is the only feed the mills carry Organic wise.

10. red star11

red star11 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2008
    Medina, Ohio
    I think that organic is just personal preference.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by