Management Qs: New Chicks, Broody Hen, Teenage Chicken etc

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by france, May 14, 2010.

1. france

france Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    I have 1 bantam roo & 12 full size hens in my main coop who are allowed to free range in the afternoons.
    I have a tiny coop with 2 silkie hens and 1 (looks like a roo) 3 month old chicken. That teenager and one silkie are very upset being in
    the tiny space and want OUT! The other silkie just went broody again. She is happy in the tiny space and we have realized not
    the brightest chicken in the world (something is not right in there) but a wonderful mamma.
    I have 11 five day old or less chicks.

I would like to move the silkie and the teenager (he is a WCPxsilkie) to the main coop. Can I put them into a dog crate in the main
    coop for a while and then eventually incorporate them into the flock? He needs a new home but no luck so far.

Then I want to take the babies and slip them under broody momma. Now she just went broody in the past 24 hours.
    Is this too soon? What should I look out for? Or are the chicks too old? My thought was to eventually move all but 1 into the main flock and keep one
    with her to keep her company until we decide to let her hatch more chicks. My goal is to only hatch my own from now on and
    I would prefer her doing the work [​IMG] The other silkie is a good auntie but is so unhappy in the small coop.

Or should I keep trying to re-home teen boy leaving him and the silkies where they are and raise the chicks in a brooder and then incorporate chicks into the main flock when
    they are older? I feel bad for the silkie who wants out.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I have never tried it myself, but conventional wisdom from experienced people is that trying to graft chicks under a broody hen is VERY risky and usually does not succeed. Especially if they are more than a day old. I *sure* wouldn't try it under a hen who only JUST started setting.

Just sayin', good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. france

france Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    Thanks Pat! That answers my question [​IMG]
    Chicks stay in the brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by