MANAGING A FLOCK OF BUFF AND WHITE ORPINGTONS

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JoJo 95, May 16, 2009.

1. JoJo 95

JoJo 95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    I PLAN ON ORDERING A STRAIGHT RUN BUNCH OF WHITE AND BUFF ORPS. I PLAN ON KEEPING ALL HENS AND TWO ROOS.IS THIS A GOOD IDEA?ALSO I HAVE LITTLE SIBLING AND NEPHEWS THAT ARE BETWEEN 3 AND 11. WOULD THIS BE A GOOD BREED THAT THEY COULD HELP OUT WITH?[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sounds good, and yes, orps are usually very docile and friendly. Be sure to handle them as chicks.

Around here, typing in all caps is regarded as shouting -- someone will say it, so I will. No offense intended.

[​IMG]

3. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Nice friendly birds. Why are you getting SR? What are you gonna do with al the extra roos? I needed positive and did not want to think about the extra roos. I ordered all pullets and 2 roos. I did not order a Buff O"s roo Want to get one from a breeder.

4. JoJo 95

Mar 15, 2009
    i plan on selling most of the extra roos b/c i know alot of people that want a docile roo.the rest i will give away.also would cornish banties mix well with orps.btw the shouting thing i didnt know about. thanks.[​IMG]

5. JoJo 95

Mar 15, 2009
    I decided to get 8 pullets and 2 cockerels(5 buff and 5 white) but the minimum order is 25. My uncle is ordering 10 so i need 5 more. can anyone recommend a gentle calm breed that i could get? also if i kept 3 roos together wat would happen? i have plenty of room but i dont know if its big enough for 3 roos?

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If you only have 10 hens, 1 roo is plenty.

7. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Many people mix many kinds of breeds on here. Orps are pretty big birds. There could be a problem if an orp rooster decides to mate with a banty hen, just because of weight. You could try it and see how it goes.

8. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:i am gessing that one cockerl will be buff and the other will be white

9. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Quote:Well you might have already decided on the hatchery but My Pet Chicken has a minimum order of 3...

10. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Hi! Welcome! I got orpingtons because they are so docile. I have 2 kids and 2 nieces, ranging in ages 7~13. I've bought several breeds, but I always make sure they're docile and calm. Australorps are great birds too. they hold the record for egg production, 350 in a year! They pop out big brown eggs, all year long. Good Luck! Sounds like you're off to a great start! any questions about kids and birds, don't hesitate to ask me. I'd be glad to help! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by