1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Managing Cage Free Birds?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lunulaaethra, Nov 6, 2016.

1. lunulaaethra

lunulaaethra Just Hatched

Nov 1, 2016
    Hello!
    We've had our chickens for about 7 months and for the most part they stay in our yard and fairly close to their coop. However, in the lady couple weeks they have started migrating over into our neighbors yard. Our neighbors have been really nice about it, but obviously they don't want to clean up chicken pooh from their yard and they are digging up her bulbs. [​IMG] Is there a way to train them not to go there? Or if we move the coop will they stay within a certain range of it? Any ideas are welcome. I'm scared we are going to have to coop them up 24/7 and we'd hate to have to do that. Thanks so much!

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    You can train chickens to do all kinds of things so I'm sure you got led train them to stay out if your neighbors yard

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    The longer they free range, the farther they will go. Once they have found good things to do over there such as dig in the flower bed, they will be back.

You really need a coop/run set up. Or a neighbor fence that is chicken proof. Good fences make for good neighbors.

Mrs K

2 people like this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Training chickens to stay out of neighbors yard?
    Possible, but highly improbable, and would be incredibly time consuming.

Mrs. K hit the nail on the head!
    Fence 'em in or fence 'em out is about the only thing that really works.

Chickens getting into 'trouble' is another paragraph of the Romance meets Reality chapter in the chicken keeping book. They can be terribly destructive.

Tho you don't want to confine your birds, it's often the best and only thing to do....
    ....be it ticked off (or just plain respect for) neighbors or predator buffet events.

You can make a nice, large safe run for your birds to spend the majority of their time in...
    ......and still be able to let them range regularly.

ETA: there are many aspects to free ranging...might want to browse the threads in this search for some ideas and other opinions.
    advanced search>titles only> free ranging

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I agree with Aart and Mrs. K. As a chicken keeper, it is your responsibility to keep your chickens on your own property. If you are in a town that allows chickens, you are jeopardizing that privilege for yourself and other backyard chicken keepers by upsetting your neighbors. I'm betting there are more people without chickens who can band together to get them banned than there are those who have chickens that would like to keep those laws in their favor.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I agree with all of the above posters! Having chickens, or any other critters, includes the responsibility for their proper care. That includes keeping them at home!!! Your neighbor is totally justified eliminating your trespassing flock, and has been very very kind to not to take those steps. Yet. Fencing is essential! Mary

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Agreed with all. Your chickens going on the neighbor's property to dig and poop is a trespass, just as much as the neighbor's dog coming onto your property to chase your chickens. If you have a good run, with plenty of entertainment options for them (deep litter, multiple height/perching opportunities, plenty of greens added) and only let them out at the end of the day (when they will be more prone to stay close to home b/c it's almost bed time) you will keep them out of mischief, and keep good neighborhood relations.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by