Managing Heat Stress

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
After almost 6 easy years in a row here we are getting some serious heat index going on. It is also since then I got a barn in place. Birds are a having a tough time with everything. Some pens have complete shade all day while others have a patch that moves as the sun moves across the sky. Older birds generally have the hardest time with the oldest sometimes not able to adjust. Then it is the rooster in full cock feathering followed by hens in lay having issues. Smaller chickens generally have an easier time adapting. The game cocks have the ability to undergo an eclipse molt where the heat trapping display feathers are swapped out for hens like on a hen around neck and back.

Behavioral changes are where some really cool things are happening.

our weather went straight to summer, today, topping out at 100. Several of my three month olds were panting heavily and looking stressed.I happened to have several plastic "blue ice" packs in the freezer so I placed them around on the floor of the run and came back to find everyone sitting on or next to one.

Been in the mid 90's here, luckily tho humidity lowers as temp rises.
I too have noticed the older birds start suffering first.
Then the 10wo's, who get chased out of the best shade in the main run.
The 5wo handle it best, but they are separate from the flock and have the best shade.
I give a dose of Sav-A-Chik electrolytes every few days during the heat waves, really seems to help and sometimes put out shallow pans of ice cubes(no water-just the cubes) where they'll sit, stand, and sip.

Cold watermelon, when in season. Ice, cold water, and shade. I've had a fan in my coop at times too.
My coop has shade, some roof insulation, and a mature spruce 'hedge' next to it. It's always a bit cooler under the spruces in the 'forest duff', and the flock spends a lot of time there. Some of the birds run to the pole barn every day, and it's also cooler a shaded there.
Mary

It was 95 degrees here yesterday, and though the humidity was low it was still intolerable. I had been down in the river bottoms all day having a cookout with friends, and came up every 2 hours to check on the chickens. Late afternoon I found my golden comet in bad shape. Wings spread out, panting, laying down every 15-20 feet. She had real watery poop. I dragged out the industrial barn fan, and gave them fresh water with electrolytes and vitamins. I really thought I was going to lose her. She's fine today, but temps will be back up in mid 90s. I'm prepared today, though. I feel bad I was neglectful about the situation. I guess I just wasn't expecting heat issues this early in the year.

Free-range birds can take care of themselves so long as enough cover is available. Penned birds with access to shade and contact with ground in shaded areas are also relatively easy to work with as they have option to dump heat through their feet in. The birds penned off the ground are the challenge. The are dumping heat by staying the shade by moving to shaded spots, panting, spreading wings, not eating as much, and laying prostrate to minimize heat production although they can not dump heat as effectively through their feet. Another problem is the concept of shade. Just because birds are out of direct sun does not mean they sun is not really heating the location they are in. I am now stepping in to shade the areas they are shaded in. The first layer prevents sun from heating sun blocks in close proximity to birds when roof is low. Another problem deals with air flow. My barn is setup to have energy from sun promote airflow by having hot air released from above drawing in cooler / drier air from near ground. When winds coming from east the system has the least air exchange and the incoming air is much warmer than when coming from south, west or north as those areas are covered by taller vegetation that keeps sunlight from hitting ground the air travels over before entering barn..

Back
Top Bottom