Managing poopy butts

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by azygous, Mar 8, 2015.

1. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Where, if not BYC, can one shamelessly discuss poop? So, let's do it!

Often, the topic of poopy butts comes up, and how to clean them. I have several hens that are not blessed with solid, dry urates, but often squirt a wet, white liquid out along with the turd, which eventually builds up on their fluffy butts, making a real smelly mess that no amount of dirt bathing will remove.

So on nice days, I will fill a few wash basins with warm water, back the butt up to it and wash it. I try not to do it too often as it removed natural oils from the feathers and that only seems to attract the poop buildup all the more. But when a hen wants cuddles and she reeks of a soiled tail end, it takes a lot of joy out of the encounter, let's just say.

Well, I think I've solved the problem of how to keep poop from sticking to fluffy butts. It started last week when my Black Cochin Morgan laid two eggs on two successive mornings and both eggs stuck to her butt feathers. I noticed the first one by chance as I entered the run and saw her with an egg hanging off her rear. The next morning I was cleaning the coop when she laid her egg and was exiting through the pop hole with another egg hanging off her butt feathers.

Her feathers are so fine that the wet egg sticks to them like glue. I thought, I wish there was a teflon spray for chicken butts. Then I got to thinking about hair products and if there might be something that would act in the way teflon does. So I went shopping.

I just happened to pull the first thing off the shelf I saw, and it turned out to be L'Oreal "Sleek It" Strand Smoother Serum-spray. Heck, for $3, it's worth a shot. So I bought it and took it home and tried it on Morgan's butt. She has not had an egg stick since.

But even better, the poop, and she has the white dribbles, just brushes right off! It was just like I had sprayed her with teflon. I decided to do the entire fleet. I washed butts, and sprayed them all with "Sleek It", carefully shielding the vents from the spray, and the feathers dried fluffy and conditioned, and the poop either doesn't stick in the first place or it just comes off with a little flick of my fingers.

Yes, the run does have a very slight aroma of "salon" in the air.

Okay. Let the ridicule begin!

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    LOL! Are they ready for their rear 'closeups'?

I would be concerned with what they are ingesting when they preen those lovely conditioned feathers.....course maybe they are not butt preeners or they wouldn't need the treatment.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Good point regarding the preening, but I've hardly seen any of them bother with their butts, probably is why they have such gross rear ends. My chickens are slobs.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I can only imagine the looks I would get from my DH if I started stylin' chicken butts :lau

But, hey, if it works....

I have a couple of Silkies who aren't the best at keeping up with themselves. I see them try to preen their backsides, but its like there's so much fluff back there that they just can't reach it all. So, I just trim them up and it takes care of the icky bottoms until they molt.
    I also used to have a LF Cochin who'd walk around with eggs stuck to her but until I noticed and peeled them off of her. A trim fixed her up too.

Oh the things we do for our chickens! I wonder if olive oil spray or coconut oil would work just as well? Then there also wouldn't be any worry about them ingesting it when they preen. And I can get a can of olive oil spray at the Dollar store for a buck. Hmm, now you've got me thinking. I can see it now, "Honey, don't use that can of olive oil spray, its for the chickens butts". Whhaaaatttt?!?!?!

5. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    I've never had problems with grown chickens except for a few silkichin hens.

For babies, I've used small electric clippers to shave the area around the vent...for those pasty butts that take longer to develop good probiotics in the brooder.

6. moosehorn2015

moosehorn2015 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    Maine
    I have the same problem with my fluffy bottomed Orpingtons! I've just done the sanitary clip on them, but I think I will try the olive oil spray. :)

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I think olive oil spray would work much better than the hair product! I will visit the dollar store and try it out!

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Oil may gather other dirt tho.....then you might need soapy bath to clean it off.

I would think a feather trim would be the best way to go........
    .......butt (haha) I don't like chickens on my lap anyway(their feet are usually too filthy) so it doesn't matter to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by