mandarin and pekin eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by eggdd, Dec 23, 2011.

1. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    are there mandarin and pekin duck breeders that sell hatching eggs? i'm also looking for geese and guinea eggs.j

help?

thanks.

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Can't answer the pekin egg question, at 3.50 a duckling at sandhill preservation center and others like it, its just reasonable to order from them, unless of course you want the eggs for just the experience or you want top show quality birds. Someone else is going to have to chime in. Now most people don't sell mandarin eggs because they don't ship well and are harder to incubate than domestic duck eggs. Besides by the time you by a half dozen you could have paid for a juvenile pair with shipping.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  3. eggdd

Jul 12, 2011
    i do not want to order from a hatchery - - and i can only hatch.

wood duck eggs would rock, as well.

thanks.

4. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Wood ducks are the same as are the rest of the ornamental breeds. But if you are dead set on incubating your own mandarins and wood ducks are the ones to start with.
    Just have to wait for spring when more users start posting their egg auctions on the geese and mandarins. Also just keep on eye on peoples signatures.

May i ask why you can only hatch your own?

(p.s. if you didn't already know, a 3-186 form should accompany any wood duck eggs or north american waterfowl and a license is needed to sell them)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I will be shipping eggs in the spring, but I've only got a trio of Pekins. I keep a trio to raise meat for my own table. They are selectively bred, but not show birds. With only 2 ducks laying, I can't get enough Pekin eggs to make it worth shipping them.

Try going down to the auction section and putting an ad in the "wanted to buy".

6. Dr. Todd

Dr. Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Wood ducks are the same as are the rest of the ornamental breeds.

Wood Ducks and Mandarin Ducks are species, not breeds.

I would have to agree though, for the money spent on eggs that may or may not hatch you're better off getting the live birds.​

7. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Dr. Todd :

Wood ducks are the same as are the rest of the ornamental breeds.

Wood Ducks and Mandarin Ducks are species, not breeds.

I would have to agree though, for the money spent on eggs that may or may not hatch you're better off getting the live birds.​

Oops. Not a clue why i said breeds...​

8. eggdd

Jul 12, 2011
    i have a question - - i don't want to keep them caged. i know they fly, but will they stay on my property? i have several ponds (five or six or so). if you have actual experience, that'd be awesome.

9. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Actual experience of letting them outside their enclosure... I don't have any and don't feel that i need any. The ornamental species are all wild birds and will fly off if you don't keep them pinioned. There are i think a small few who keep them pinioned and out on open water but to do this you would need to fence them in as rendering them flightless is a big welcome for predators to come and eat your $50 pair of mandarins/wood ducks. A pair of mandarins/Wood ducks and live happy lives in a covered enclosure with clean water and good food. Click the link in my signature for pen ideas.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  10. eggdd

Jul 12, 2011
    so why do you keep such ducks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by