Mandarin duck question?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by SwedishDude99, Aug 24, 2013.

1. SwedishDude99

SwedishDude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    I was wondering if it was possible to keep a male mandarin duck with two other male duck breeds only( no females!) I really like the look of them and understand that a mandarin enclosure does have to be slightly modified but I am willing to do that. Thankyou for any answers I get!
    :D

2. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Anyone?

3. JJRS

JJRS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Why?

4. 3BirdGirlz

3BirdGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Montana
    I don't have mandarins, but I'm planning on getting some. In my research I've read it depends on what other duck breeds you'll have with them. Some other breeds (domestic type ducks)can be pushy and more aggressive to the mandarins in which the mandarin may have a harder time getting to food. I've seen people put other wild type ducks together...like wood ducks with mandarins. Hope someone with actuall knowledge can chime in and help.

5. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Ok thanks! I was wondering because I was wanting to get some and wanted to see if I could house them with my blue swedish and black swedish in their 8 by 10 enclosure. The swedish will be out almost all day every day so the mandarins would have the pen to themselves pretty much. If not, I am willing to build the, their own enclosure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by