Mandarin Ducks in the wild

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ryan112ryan, Dec 14, 2010.

1. ryan112ryan

ryan112ryan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    So this past thanksgiving I was with my family up in Western North Carolina, up in the mountains. I was walking around a lake in Black Mountain, NC and saw these ducks and was awe struck at how amazing they are. I looked them up, found out they are Mandarin Ducks, from Asia and Siberia. What the heck were they doing hanging out here in the wild in NC?

I enjoyed them so much I kind of want to start raising/breeding them. Anyone know where in NC I can purchase them?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    A lot of people keep them as pets, just because they are so pretty. Probably escaped from someone's farm. I guess they are fairly wild in terms of behavior -- if they get out of a pen, they don't hang around like your average domestic breed such as pekins or muscovies, from what I've heard.

They should be easy to come by -- quite a few hatcheries carry them. A lot of people on E-bay or here on the trading forum sell eggs or birds at the appropriate time of year.

3. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    They are related to the wild wood duck and are a migratory bird so once there loose, they are wild. There in north carolina there is a huge waterfowl park called slyvan heights. I doubt they escaped from there but if you are ever around they have an amazing aray of beautiful birds to check out.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  4. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Quote:I want to go there.... No I don't need to because I would end up with who knows what!! [​IMG]

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Wow, those are pretty! We have some at one of our lakes, too. I didn't know that they were related to wood ducks, but that makes sense. I also read that the male actually reunites with the females and ducklings after they hatch, which is unusual for ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by