1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mandarin Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Diamante, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Diamante

Diamante Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Southwest, Ohio
    Does anyone here have mandarin ducks? I love the way they look and i am trying to talk my mom into letting me have some....it might be working, lol. If you do have some would you be willing to sell me some hatching eggs if my mom lets me get ducks? Pics of adult and babies would be great.
    Thanks,
    Lisa

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    You do realize that they are different than most of the ducks written about on here. They fly very well so you would have to have a fully enclosed pen for them or clip a wing (would be a shame) They are in such great demand for their beauty so tend to be expensive. Part of this expense is because they are hard to hatch so eggs might not be the best way to go unless you have done a lot of hatching. Seeing I am the first to reply to this post you can get some idea of how many people raise mandarin ducks. No I don't either but I have looked into it and realized I needed more experience to take them on.~gd

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have mandarin ducks. I enjoy them. They are so adorable. I havent hatched any eggs yet, but plan to when they start laying this year.

4. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    They are not too difficult to raise/keep, actually one of the best "beginner" wild species. As mentioned in the above post, a covered flight would be required if you don't purchase pinioned or wing clip. Hens will need a nest box to lay eggs hen and ramp leading to it if they cannot fly.

Some pics of our Mandarins:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jan Harteman has a wonderful site on all things wildfowl, here is the Mandarin page for basic info - http://www.harteman.nl/omnibus/anseriformes/ducks/mandarin.html

Dan

5. Diamante

Diamante Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Southwest, Ohio
    Thanks for the replies. Are there any ducks that look fancy like mandarins that would be cheaper and easier to find for sale? I dont want plain looking ducks, i prefer mandarin or wood ducks, lol.
    Lisa

6. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
  7. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:You are not going to find anything as ornate as the Mandarin or the Wood Duck any cheaper than those two are. Neither species is that hard to find and both are great species to start with.

Dan

8. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Again I want to remind people that they need permits for Wood Ducks. If you buy live ducks the breeder should be able to help prove they are raised ducks, not ones taken from the wild.

9. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    it's just four wood ducks not mandarins since the mandarins are from china or some where around there. But that may just be in canada .

10. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:Are you talking about the pics? those are Mandarins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by