Mandarin Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by eggybritches, Oct 18, 2009.

1. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    I love mandarin ducks, but I can't find any place that sells the eggs.

Does anyone know of any place? I'd really like to hatch my own. I don't want to spend $100 for a pair of birds... But I might have to.

2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Most breeders that I have talked to will NOT sell eggs. It's usually a started pair. Good luck!

3. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Yeah...i dont think any breeder will sell eggs...i know i wont....we only plan to sell started pairs next fall for two reasons:
    1. Mandarin (or wood duck) eggs are really hard to hatch
    2. You never know what sexes you get if they hatch, with a started pair, you know you'll have a male and female

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    My mandarins are being shipped tomorrow. They are coming from Squaw Creek Farm. This was the lowest price I found but there may be lower I just didn't find. I am so excited. I will be getting a 6-10 month old pair.

5. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    Mandarins won't be laying eggs yet... I think typically late winter to early spring is their time. I would definitely go for an adult pair... as 1lpoock already mentioned, they are very difficult to hatch. You could easily spend 100.00 on eggs and hatch zero.
    I got a couple hens from Acorn Hollow... they were good quality and healthy birds. Here's their website http://www.acornhollowbantams.com/mandarin_ducks.cfm?id=15

eta: Just had another thought... member 'charlindabob' is also somewhere in central FL and raises mandarins... you may check with them.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  6. Johndale

Johndale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    i would like some mandarin or woodducks to could u get juviniles like somewhere cheap

7. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
  8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:[​IMG] That is where I purchased my 2 pairs from in 07'. One of the males escaped the cage, so I was left with a trio, but luckly the drake mated with both hens. They usually dont lay till their second spring.

I actuall found that mandarin eggs were easier to hatch than I thought. Just dont use this type of turner. [​IMG] Either use a incubator like the Brinsea, where the whole incubator turns, or hand turn them 3x a day. Duck eggs do horrible in those yellow hovabator turners.

There is somebody on ebay that sells mandarin hatching eggs in the spring, but I wouldnt take the chance and just purchase a started pair.

9. seaneduck

seaneduck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Pleasant Grove, Utah
    During the spring/early summer I have seen hatching eggs on eBAY.

10. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    sorry to get off topic but if you scroll up and down real fast over the hovabator turner picture, it messes with your eyes! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by