mandarin ducks

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by pheasant24, Sep 9, 2010.

1. pheasant24

pheasant24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Do mandarin ducks need water in the winter? I'm in michigan, and I don't know what to do
    about keeping my pond from freezing over?

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I provide my muscovy ducks with a pan of fresh warm water each a.m. with their feed thru the Winter here in Indiana.
    I also have a preformed pond for my calls and I just drop a horse water trough heater in theirs. In cold weather I do not think they need a pond for bathing so much as they need warm water to drink..... I tend to spoil my ducks tho![​IMG]

How big is your pond? If possible just put the heater in it and they will stay in that area where it is thawed..

3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    most large scale waterfowl breeders up there use 1 of a few things, ponds with heavy circulation to keep the water rapidly moving, heaters, or indoor water bowl.
    No they dont have to have swimming water during this time, it helps if possible, but not needed.
    They can physically handle all the winter you can throw at them, just need drinking water though.

4. pheasant24

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    ok thanks!!

5. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I also live in michigan, all they need is water to drink, every once in a while if you put a pan of water or something they can crawl into would also help.

6. pheasant24

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    ok thats a good idea! thanks![​IMG]

7. waterdog

waterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Michigan
    Hi,
    We are in Michigan as well Mandarins are a pretty hardy duck they can take alot of cold as with all waterfowl in cold climates the biggest concern is frost bite on their feet. Open water prevents this but if this is not available plenty of dry straw for them will keep this from happening.

8. pheasant24

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    oh ok so all the water is for is to keep away frostbite? (well...and so they can splash and stuff)

9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:Well, that, and the water /splashing, is actually preening and oiling their feather which aid in the insulation. Being in water cleans and triggers their oil glands to produce. Without it, they will still preen, but can run a risk of clogged oil ducts and dry feather. Not a big concern, usually they are fine without it, but always best to provide it if possible

10. pheasant24

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    ok got it! thanks!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by