1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mandarin Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SundownWaterfowl, Aug 9, 2008.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have a trio of Mandarin ducks. I got them last fall when they were around maybe 5 months old, the male already has his colors.

Did your lay their first year? Mine havent laid this year.

Also, if you could post a picture of you mandarin laying box, it would be greatly appreciated. I need some ideas for next spring.

2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    Like the wood duck, Mandarins require nesting boxes to nest in. The breeding season begins in late April when the hen begins to lay her clutch of 8 to 12 eggs that are incubated for about 28 days. The hens are good mothers and will raise her own young if you allow her to. The ducklings grow quickly and are able to fly at 8 weeks. They are able to breed the first year, but fertility is best during the second year

3. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    They won't lay without a nest box. Just do a search and find plans for wood duck nest boxes. These are the plans that I used: http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/birds/woodduck/wdnbox.htm
    Make
    an extra box or two so that they can 'choose' the one that they want. Mine didn't lay the first year. Good luck, they are beautiful birds!

4. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:Some will and some won't lay the first year - I've had both situations. How big is the aviary? Are they the only ducks in there or are they sharing it?

Jan Harteman has a page on nestboxes - http://www.harteman.nl/omnibus/index.html , as mentioned, they use the same style as North American Woodies and plans for them are all over the net.

If the hen is pinioned or wing clipped, you will need a ramp to the hole.

My hen in her box -

[​IMG]

Dan

5. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by